SS Constitution

Constitution sailed as American Export's sister ship to the Independence, but always seemed to be in her shadow. I haven't seen any notice about Constitution in recent years. A) Why was she always the poor step-sister, and B) What has become of her?

Richard:
Unfortunately what Mike says is true, Indy got a rehabilitation to meet new regulations but Conie was judged to be in too poor condition. So she sat in shipyard as a source of spare parts. Then was sold for scrap and sank under tow. I'm not sure she was the poor sister. She carried Grace Kelly to her wedding, and was in the movie An Affair To Remember, also in I love Lucy. I was 2nd Officer on her when Export Line laid her up in Jacksonville FLA.
Regards,
Charlie Weeks

Thanks to one and all for the rapid and comprehensive response regarding "Constitution". I always felt she got short shrift in comparison to her sister ship, particularly where operations and restorations were concerned. I do hope her position in the Pacific was noted at the time of loss, as it would be interesting to see how she fell and land in the Pacific sands. Interesting conclusion to the life of a North Atlantic standard of the late 50's.

The Independence and Constitution have to be some of the most beautiful ships I've seen, at least from the outside. One of my books on pre-1955 ocean liners has a great b&w spread of Independence in her early years.

----------------
"What do you see?"-Sixth Officer James Moody

Did you realise that in 1959 both ships were taken into the yard and altered? Their bridges were raised one deck and moved 50' forward. This some what altered their appearance, and slightly increased their carrying capacity.
Regards,
Charlie Weeks

Back