G'day, everyone.

For those who aren't aware/haven't noticed, I'm new to "Encyclopedia Titanica" and I'd say that this site is a great source for information about the ship and the sinking. Anyways, to the point. I'm writing a novel about the R.M.S Titanic and the events surrounding its maiden voyage and sinking entitled, "Starlit Night". It's written in third person omniscient, and the main character is a young man named Kevin W. Hudson. He happens to be the one of the only two black men/individuals in first class. If you're thinking, oh great, another historical/realistic fiction novel about the ship, you are correct. Hudson wasn't a real man onboard the ship, and neither was this other "black, first class passenger". Still, although this book is a work of fiction, I want my fictional characters to perfectly fit into the Edwardian era with little to no change. That's how accurate and realistic I want everything to be. I want people to mistake them for being real people, I want their actions and stories to be believable.
With this novel, I want to shine light onto what actually happened during the sinking and to the people that were on the ship. I'm not going to romanticize the disaster/base what happens off of mass media. I want the truth and as much information as I can get. I want to dig into the lives of the third class passengers, see what they were like. I want to show how Sunday services on the ship really played out, who went where, what hymns were sung, did people of other faiths worship in their staterooms? What really happened to Andrews, Smith, and Murdoch? Who was Laroche? Were there really wild parties in third class? Who got shot, and which officer committed suicide? Was "Nearer, my God, to thee" really played in the final hours? If so, what version? All of these questions and thoughts will be answered to the best of my capability in the novel, but, I do need assistance and advice. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could answer some of the many questions I have.
Thomas Krom and Jason Tiller have been offering assistance and help for a while now, and I'm very thankful. We'd appreciate more interest and information in regards to this project. There are things that I must know that are essential to the creation of this book, and I'm sure there are many experts and folks with good knowledge on the ship and the Edwardian era here.
The following are a few of the current questions I have and things I'd like to know.
- What were the movements and actions of the two Titanic bands on board the ship?
- What was Laroche's experience on the ship before and during the sinking?
- How many souls actually made it to the poop deck during the "final plunge"?
- When and where did Sunday services take place, and what happened during them?
- Did the dome of the grand staircase really give away when the room flooded?
- Did Johnson even plan to board the ship?
- Was there a band/musicians in third class, if so, who were they, and what songs did they play?
- What dances were enjoyed by wealthy and working class Edwardians alike?
- What was racism/discrimination like onboard the ship?
- How could a third class passenger sneak into first class?
The following is basic information about the novel, plot, and characters that should be considered.
- The novel is written in third person (meaning that you'll be able to see things from all characters' points of view.).
- This novel is very, very focused on accuracy and realism.
- The main character is a young, British black man in his twenties named Kevin W. Hudson.
- Hudson is an artist (writer, painter, and, probably, pianist) born in Kensignton, London to domestic servants.
- There are many, many fictional characters, but not all of them have major roles.
- Hudson does meet and/or befriend a good amount of people that were actually on the ship.
- The novel will mention/provide insight into real life people who were on the doomed vessel, similarly to "A Night to Remember".
That's all for now. Also, if you have any questions or suggestions for the novel, feel free to let me know.

Sincerely, Kevin W. Hudson​

Hi Kevin, it doesn't surprise me nobody left a comment yet on your post, cause I wrote a similar one a few weeks ago and I got only two very kind replies. I am writing a novel about Titanic too, so I understand your doubts, but you won't get much help here, and I suspect we both won't get readers. I think people believe we post here just to advertise our books like hey, let's say we're writing a novel and those titanic fans will buy thousands of copies. I can't speak for you, but this is not my case. I can tell you what I did to write mine: read, read, read, buy all the books you can, watch every possible documentary you can find, every youtube video with testimonies from survivors, interviews, whatever. Read testimonies left at the senate inquiry, all of them, there is a website about the us and english enquiry. Read every possible thread here on encyclopedia before even writing a single word, and even when you have your ideas clearly in mind come back and reared while you're writing. A very important suggestion: don't make your character an artist, stay away as far as possible from everything that reminds James Cameron movie. Jack was an artist, you are already beaten on that path. While writing I always keep in mind that the vast majority of the potential readers will have the movie as a reference. All they know about Titanic comes from it. Only the super fans will know or want to read about specific details, so if you want your story to be as accurate as possible try to give facts through plot tricks. No common reader gives a damn about how the engine works, when boiler room number 6 flooded or stuff like that.
My last advice: close your eyes and breathe titanic. Go back there, feel it like you were on board. Only when you'll enter your bedroom believing is a cabin you'll be ready to write.
Anyway, I'll be really happy to read your book and to help you if you need a proofreader!
Have a great day

Hi Kevin, it doesn't surprise me nobody left a comment yet on your post, cause I wrote a similar one a few weeks ago and I got only two very kind replies. I am writing a novel about Titanic too, so I understand your doubts, but you won't get much help here, and I suspect we both won't get readers. I think people believe we post here just to advertise our books like hey, let's say we're writing a novel and those titanic fans will buy thousands of copies. I can't speak for you, but this is not my case. I can tell you what I did to write mine: read, read, read, buy all the books you can, watch every possible documentary you can find, every youtube video with testimonies from survivors, interviews, whatever. Read testimonies left at the senate inquiry, all of them, there is a website about the us and english enquiry. Read every possible thread here on encyclopedia before even writing a single word, and even when you have your ideas clearly in mind come back and reared while you're writing. A very important suggestion: don't make your character an artist, stay away as far as possible from everything that reminds James Cameron movie. Jack was an artist, you are already beaten on that path. While writing I always keep in mind that the vast majority of the potential readers will have the movie as a reference. All they know about Titanic comes from it. Only the super fans will know or want to read about specific details, so if you want your story to be as accurate as possible try to give facts through plot tricks. No common reader gives a damn about how the engine works, when boiler room number 6 flooded or stuff like that.
My last advice: close your eyes and breathe titanic. Go back there, feel it like you were on board. Only when you'll enter your bedroom believing is a cabin you'll be ready to write.
Anyway, I'll be really happy to read your book and to help you if you need a proofreader!
Have a great day
Ooh, this is really good advice and I deeply appreciate your thoughts and help. Still, I must say that Hudson's drawing aspect was inspired based on myself, and not "Jack Dawson" from the '97 film, so it'll be completely different.

Ooh, this is really good advice and I deeply appreciate your thoughts and help. Still, I must say that Hudson's drawing aspect was inspired based on myself, and not "Jack Dawson" from the '97 film, so it'll be completely different.
Well, if you think you can create a character that is an artist without people comparing him to Jack Dawson go for it! just be sure to build him very very well. It's almost 11 pm here in Italy and I'm starting to write a new chapter. I think the book will need seven or eight more and it will be finished! Good luck with yours

Well, if you think you can create a character that is an artist without people comparing him to Jack Dawson go for it! just be sure to build him very very well. It's almost 11 pm here in Italy and I'm starting to write a new chapter. I think the book will need seven or eight more and it will be finished! Good luck with yours
Ooh, that's nice, and thank you!

Back