Still Unfound

What intriguing shipwrecks are still unfound? Thinking back to pre-1985, the TITANIC was a complete mystery...a famous shipwreck that no one had found (unless you think that Grimm's "propeller" was correct).

What famous shipwrecks have yet to be located? Waratah? Any others?

"Thinking back to pre-1985, the TITANIC was a complete mystery...a famous shipwreck that no one had found (unless you think that Grimm's "propeller" was correct)."

Have a look at Paul Lee's website, Jeremy. (paullee.com) He tables inconclusive evidence that Titanic was first found in 1977.

The tanker "Marine Sulfur Queen", for another. Hundreds of lost convoy vessels and u-boats, USS Oklahoma, Kaga, Akagi, Hiryu, Soryu, S.S. Constitution, cargo vessels and Soviet subs littering the sea beds all over the world. Plenty of great hunting out there.

Don't forget the Hans Hedtoft which struck a berg on her maiden voyage in a storm, barely had time to get off a distress call and sank with the loss of all aboard.

Quite a few passenger vessels "vanished" in the early days of the North Atlantic run though I doubt there's much about that which is truly mysterious beyond the details of what actually happened. The North Atlantic is notorious for tricky and downright nasty weather conditions as well as icebergs, all of which has been claiming ships for centuries. In the days befor radio, it was all too common for a ship to last be seen sailing into the sunset to never be heard from again.

For we Aussies, it would have to be HMAS Sydney. More than 600 Australian seamen were lost when she was sunk by the German Raider Kormoran. Personally, I don't think much new will be learned if she is ever found, but many people would like to know where she lies.

Waratah would also be a big find for us, as she had close Australian connections, apart from her name.

I stumbled onto this site about ships disappearing.

http://perdurabo10.tripod.com/id1566.html

I had forgot that the Arctic's sister ship, the Pacific, disappeared. Some sources say her remains were found about fifteen years, but others say the wreck has only tentatively been identified as her.

The City of Glasgow was another one of the bigger liners to disappear, but I think the photo this guy has on his site must be a different ship of that name. He also mentions a White Star Liner to disappear in 1893. This is called the Naronic and only had 73 aboard. I wonder if he is correct.

Common as it was, ship's disappearing is still so haunting to me.

Hey - I'll check out those sights. I was just coming back to say that scanning the White Star thread revealed that the line did produce freighters such as the Cufic and Georgic.

That is an interesting site, especially since the author mentions three more ships that disappeared:

[pasted from site]
"SS State of Georgia, sails from Aberdeen to Boston carrying 185 passengers & crew disappears without a trace.
February,1899, the SS Alleghany, sails from New York for Dover; carrying 221 passengers & crew disappears without a trace.
February,1902, the SS Huronian sails from Liverpool for St. John's --carrying 366 passengers & crew disappears without a trace"

Back