Tea dresses

You don't have to look very far! Our very own Lucile pioneered the tea gown in the closing years of the nineteenth century and they remained a staple part of the fashionable Edwardian wardrobe.

I can't direct you to specific threads but I would urge you to have a quick root around on any of those devoted to contemporary society and fashion. I believe that photographs of Lucile models, taking tea in a garden in 1912, can be found on Lady Duff Gordon's ET biography page...

Ummmm...I'm thinking...there is a WONDERFUL tea-gown, dating from the late 1890s and designed (I seem to recall) by Rouff, in the collection of the V&A. It has recently been illustrated in their book on nineteenth-century fashion.

I'll probe the further recesses of my memory and point you in the direction of other sources, as and when I recall them.

Are you looking for actual photographs or do you also want illustrations? And may I inquire why?

I have some books that have photographs of vintage gowns worn by modern models. These gowns are the property of Oregon museums, and are still in wonderful shape.

I can also recommend several TOM TIERNEY illustrated historic gowns, featuring the works of Worth, Poirot, and many other contemporaries of Lucile. These are illustrations, mind you, and not photographs.

If you'd like to email me, I'd be happy to send you what I have, although it will take several emails from me to exhaust my collection.

I'm a theater costumer, you see. That is why I am interested in the gowns.

Kyrila

What are your specific needs, Vitezslav? Do the photos have to be of ladies drinking tea, or are you more interested in the gowns themselves. I meant to ask in my previous post. Also, are you interested in movie stills of period films that depict ladies at tea?

I also have photos of ladies and gentlemen in Edwardian attire for theater presentations, as I perform annually at the Titanic museum in Orlando, Florida.

Kyrila

I am interested in photos, because I have already lot of illustrations. I would like some vintage photos of ladies wearing tea gowns and/or drinking tea. I have some photos of original Edwardian gowns from museums or vintage clothing shops, but it would be very kind of you to send me some vintage photos of tea gowns, ladies drinking tea and the photos of ladies and gentlemen in Edwardian attire for theater presentations. Thank you very much.

Regards
Vitezslav

Vitezslav, I suggest you edit your above post and delete your email address. This is a public forum. I will email you some of what I have, but others I will need to scan for you. Now, are there any designers you are most interested in?

Kyrila

I have sent you 35 photographs of Edwardian period gowns including dates and in known cases, the designer and fabrics used. Also included are two gowns of myself and other cast members at the 2005 Anniversary Tour at the Titanic museum and a very nice display of a gown worn by Elizabeth Taylor in a movie.

Some of the photos show different views of the gowns, and some I did not include different views, but if you'd like additional detail on some of those, let me know which ones and I will see what I have for them.

Again, I'm curious to know what you will use these photos for. Please share with all of us what your purpose is. Thanks!

Kyrila

how about a tea dress from a February 1912 magazine.....

valentines1912.jpg

Back