News The $27m Titanic mansion built from grief

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
A project touched by sorrow, the palatial Miramar estate in Rhode Island was completed in 1915 by a notable Titanic survivor as a memorial to her husband, who went down with the ill-fated liner, along with the couple's eldest son. Having recently sold for an eye-watering price, the neo-classical beauty hides an intriguing history, as well as some of the most breathtaking architecture of its era.

A project touched by sorrow, the palatial Miramar estate in Rhode Island was completed in 1915 by a notable Titanic survivor as a memorial to her husband, who went down with the ill-fated liner, along with the couple's eldest son. Having recently sold for an eye-watering price, the neo-classical beauty hides an intriguing history, as well as some of the most breathtaking architecture of its era.
Jason, that's absolutely incredible to hear that as the last time I was in the US visiting family in Newport, I was told about this beautiful estate to which I didn't realise that Elenore, had built it in memory of her husband and son. Wow.

Back