News The Man Who Was Despised for Surviving the Titanic

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Japanese culture differs in many respects from the Western one, one of its most important features is the importance it attaches to ideals of duty and honor. The concept of shame weighs hard for the Japanese people, as society’s expectations are of great importance. This was evident in the case of Masabumi Hosono, a survivor of the Titanic, but who could not enjoy this.

That a very sad story and feel that Hosono might have received a very short shrift. This business about Gracie denouncing him publicly was very mean of the pompous Colonel. Gracie comes across as an annoying, interfering, self-opinionated nosy Parker and should have minded his own business.

There appear to be rather conflicting accounts of how Hosono got ito Lifeboat #10. A few books and articles claim that Neshan Krekorian and Masabumi Hosono sneaked into the boat just as it was about to be lowered; but most others give a slightly different story. Lifeboat #10 was not a 'typical' port side boat because Murdoch was in charge in the latter stages of its loading and lowering. While Krekorian may well have got in from the A-deck as it was being lowered, I understood that Hosono did so only in response to a call from one of the crew members that there was room for 2 more people. In that case, he was at perfect liberty to save himself when the opportunity presented itself. IMO, Gracie's reaction to Hosono's survival sounds more than a little like supercilious attitude of an upper class White man towards an oriental.

In some ways, the vilification of Hosono at an almost national level was even worse than what Ismay had to put up with for surviving the disaster.

That a very sad story and feel that Hosono might have received a very short shrift. This business about Gracie denouncing him publicly was very mean of the pompous Colonel. Gracie comes across as an annoying, interfering, self-opinionated nosy Parker and should have minded his own business.

There appear to be rather conflicting accounts of how Hosono got ito Lifeboat #10. A few books and articles claim that Neshan Krekorian and Masabumi Hosono sneaked into the boat just as it was about to be lowered; but most others give a slightly different story. Lifeboat #10 was not a 'typical' port side boat because Murdoch was in charge in the latter stages of its loading and lowering. While Krekorian may well have got in from the A-deck as it was being lowered, I understood that Hosono did so only in response to a call from one of the crew members that there was room for 2 more people. In that case, he was at perfect liberty to save himself when the opportunity presented itself. IMO, Gracie's reaction to Hosono's survival sounds more than a little like supercilious attitude of an upper class White man towards an oriental.

In some ways, the vilification of Hosono at an almost national level was even worse than what Ismay had to put up with for surviving the disaster.
It was worse in my opinion. But not surprising. That was acceptable behavior for their culture. Compared to what they often celebrated and cheered on during the 1930's and 1940's that wouldn't even have registered on the scale of injustice.

Japanese culture differs in many respects from the Western one, one of its most important features is the importance it attaches to ideals of duty and honor. The concept of shame weighs hard for the Japanese people, as society’s expectations are of great importance. This was evident in the case of Masabumi Hosono, a survivor of the Titanic, but who could not enjoy this.
That article said he finally got his job back. I looked but couldn't find how long that took. So I guess he did get some redemption. But still they broke his spirit which was a shame. Cheers.

It would have been different if he had taken a seat in a lifeboat but left his wife on the ship to sink; he was striving to live so that he could make it home for her sake. There was room for him at that moment, he saw his chance, and he chose life -- as did Bruce Ismay. I can't blame either of them, really. Lots of lifeboats went down partly empty which should have added more women and children too -- as well as the husband/fathers if possible. I also wish that Isidor Strauss would have accepted the seat offered to him, because that would have saved his wife Ida's life along with his, since she wanted to be with him "till death do us part." Wish there could have been a seat on a lifeboat for all the children, ladies, and fellas. Guys' lives matter too. Reminds me of the story of St. Maximilian Kolbe... who offered his life for a family guy who had a strong will to live (and the family guy ended up surviving the Holocaust). Life is beautiful.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a heroic story of a guy willing to give up his life on the Titanic, look no further than Fr. Thomas Byles... I was so moved by his true story, that I wrote a whole poem about him!
Take a sentimental journey with me

Last edited:
That article said he finally got his job back. I looked but couldn't find how long that took.
"He lost his post at the Ministry in May 1913, and his career undoubtedly suffered. But the Japanese government could not afford to drop such a highly trained expert, who had just returned from government-sponsored study abroad, so he was soon (June 1913) re-employed, albeit on a contract basis at first, and worked for the Ministry until his death in 1939."

From the article "The Last of the Last How Masabumi Hosono's was Forgotten":

"He lost his post at the Ministry in May 1913, and his career undoubtedly suffered. But the Japanese government could not afford to drop such a highly trained expert, who had just returned from government-sponsored study abroad, so he was soon (June 1913) re-employed, albeit on a contract basis at first, and worked for the Ministry until his death in 1939."

From the article "The Last of the Last How Masabumi Hosono's was Forgotten"
That was a good article. Thanks. Don't know how I missed it when I did a search. Must have not scrolled down enough. Well I guess that it's at least good that he wasn't unemployed too long. That would have been a double whammy for the poor guy. The comments section was interesting too. Cheers.

I feel that one should not be condemned for trying to keep themselves alive in a disaster
Absolutely. As long as they did not deprive someone else by taking their place, anyone has the same right to survive if they can. Men like Ismay, Hosono, Peuchen and even Lightoller survived the disaster by taking whatever chance that came their way but not by denying someone else in the process. I do NOT blame them and any criticism by third parties just because they survived is completely unjustified.

Back