The most accurate portrayal of Mr Andrews in the movies?

Hi all. There has been a lot of Titanic movies, which included Thomas Andrews, or, should I say in a polite way, Mr Andrews. There were some as well,where Andrews was omitted, but that is not the subject of this poll. Which movie offered in your opinion the most accurate portrayal of T.Andrews? I liked Victor Garber in 1997 film most. Is it true that there were complaints towards Victor's southern Irish accent instead of the Northern Irish one?

Regional accents are a characteristic of the working classes. If you have the dvd of 'A Night to Remember' watch the 'making of' documentary and listen to the voice of the film's producer Bill MacQuitty. Born and raised in Edwardian Belfast, Bill had no Irish accent, or at least none detectable to an English or American listener. This was true of people of the upper and upper middle classes throughout Britain. So the most accurate portrayal of Thomas Andrews' accent is that of Michael Goodliffe in ANTR - standard 'received pronunciation' like that of a BBC newsreader. Or of Bill MacQuitty.

"Regional accents are a characteristic of the working classes............Bill had no Irish accent, or at least none detectable to an English or American listener. This was true of people of the upper and upper middle classes throughout Britain"

A wee up-date there Bob.

I would say that regional accents are characteristic of a region regardless of the fortunes of those living in that region.

Up until the mid 1800s in Scotland, the only people who spoke with the laid-back distinctive upper-crust southern drawl were the aristocracy. This was because they were all educated in Public schools south of the border and spent most of their time in drawing rooms in London. Very often, after Eton or Harrow, they finished their education at either Oxbridge or Cambridge.

By the mid 1800s, most wealthy Scottish merchants, Indistrialist and Financiers with delusions of grandeure sent their sons and daughters south to be educated. Otherwise, they could buy a Peerage but could not sound like a Peer of the realm.

There were four distinct accents among those who remained north of the border and were educated in Scotland, . These were:

1. The Pseudo-english version spoken by those with delussions of granduer living in Edinburgh.
2. The 'Bools-in-the mooth' or 'awfy fer beck' brigade living in the Glasgow area and harbouring delusions of grandeur.
3. The 'common five eight' everywhere else who modified how they spoke so that all english speakers could understand them
4. The 'common five eight ', so called working Class. who had no desire whatsover to converse with anyone outside their immediate circle of aquaintances. This last group compounded the felony by including area-specifc terms and accents to their conversation.

Even today, there are families in Scotland who have a member being educated at an English private school. The result is like entertaining an alien at the half term break.

As a matter of interest, there is an area of N. Ireland where the locals speak with an accent exactly like a west coast lowland Scot. But then Robert the Bruce's brother James was King of N. Irleand for a short period.:cool:

Happy Easter!

Jim C.

Guys thanks a lot for the explanations :) And to Jim Currie who is currently online happy Easter as well. Bob Godfrey: A ANTR movie is said to be the most accurate one, though the same I have heard of the Cameron film.It depends on the preferencies The 2 biggest flaws imo in ANTR were that she was never christened ( Titanic) and that the ship broke in half, which was not known in 1958.

I agree with the OP. James Cameron's 1997 film is by no means my favourite Titanic film but I do like the portrayal of Thomas Andrews by Victor Garber - I imagine that his final moments would have been very similar to that.

Happy Easter to all forums members.

Cheers,
Adam.

Hi Adam. At first happy Easter. I share your opinion... My fave Titanic film is ANTR, but the best Thomas Andrews was V.Garber - the emotions which he portrayed must have felt the real Thomas, too. I heard somewhere Victor confess that he felt somewhat connected with Mr.Andrews - and it was true.... Do you remember the face detail of Thomas (Victor), after he gave the life jacket to Rose and bode her farewell in the 1997 movie? His facial expression was sheer sadness...

I suspect that, if Mr Andrews had an accent, it would have been more or less "RP", albeit with a trace of Northern Irish. As I understand it, he was educated locally and then went straight into the firm as a premium apprentice (whereas if he had been to a "posh" English school he would have acquired more of a "posh" accent).

Stanley:Thank you for the statement - and in which film was in your opinion the most accurate portrait of Mr.Andrews and why? :)

In my opinion, the most accurate portrayal of Thomas Andrews was that of Michael Goodliffe in A Night to Remember - not only because of his "RP" accent, but also because he had at least some physical resemblance to the real Mr Andrews. As a matter of interest, Michael Goodliffe, who was captured by the Germans at Dunkirk, spent much of the war engaged in theatrical activities in POW camps. Sadly, he took his own life in 1976.

Hi Fan,

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Garber felt some connection to Thomas Andrews. Look at Bill Paxton, who was also in the 1997 film, and how he reacted when James Cameron sent him down to the actual wreck in Ghosts Of The Abyss.

Cheers,
Adam.

Hi Adam. He actually felt. In some interview he said:" I felt somewhat connected with him..... The story of Titanic touches you...." I wonder whether Victor had the chance to see the wreck of her (Titanic) during the shooting as well. And how would he react if he saw her resting on the bottom of the sea....

Stanley: That is so sad to hear.... Do you know the reason of his suicide? or is it secret?

Michael Goodliffe (1914-1976) had a nervous breakdown and was taken into the Atkinson Morley Hospital in Wimbledon, south London. he killed himself my jumping off a fire escape (see Wikipedia - which suggests that A Night to Remember was his best-known film).

Michael Goodliffe (1914-1976) had a nervous breakdown and was taken into the Atkinson Morley Hospital in Wimbledon, south London. he killed himself my jumping off a fire escape (see Wikipedia - which suggests that A Night to Remember was his best-known film).

Oh my.... Was it because he couldn't bear the burden of fame? This is pretty sad to hear... ANTR has a major advantage by a lot of survivors still alive at that time, so they could use their accounts as sources. I read now on the Wikipedia that the last person to see Mr Andrews alive was in real life some steward..... Is this information true?

Back