Hi leonard!

While no known photographs of the Renault or of any of the cargo holds are known to exist, Bill Carter's new Renault would have looked similar if not identical to the picture I have posted.

Thanks,
Brian
71978.jpg

In common with many other car makers in that period, Renault sold only the 'rolling chassis' and the customer would need to arrange for a coachbuilder to add the bodywork, for which there were no standard designs. So we have no way of knowing what Carter's Renault looked like, except for the distinctive engine cover which generally came with the chassis.

I would say that it did have coachwork, as the insurance valuation is too high for a chassis only. It is sometimes described as a 'touring car' or 'tourer', which at that time was used to designate an open car - not ideal for the antics of Jack and Rose, even if it had not been crated!

Hi Bob!

I got a laugh from the Jack and Rose comment! I was not familiar with Renault being sold only as a rolling chassis, similar though to my favorites Duesenberg and Bugatti, both of which I have detailed webpages about, however I based the picture I posted on what I had read and the different TV and movie depictions of the car.

Thanks,

Brian

Hi, Brian. Duesenberg and Bugatti - you are a man of taste and discernment! I love both marques, but I think if I had to choose I'd be driving a Duesy SSJ. All I need is a winning line on the lottery.

Lenny,

That car I posted is just a general concept of what I base the Carter car to have looked like having read descriptions and seen numerous depictions, the actual car was an open tourer. Sadly I do not think the car survived the sinking, all searches of the cargo hold where the car was stored yielded were rusticles and debris, nothing resembling a car.

Thanks,

Brian

Already been there, Brian! The 'Twenty Grand' is a fine motor, to be sure, but I prefer the lines of a Murphy roadster. Harder to pick a favourite Bugatti - for me it's a choice between the Type 35B and the type 55. But since the lottery has so far failed to deliver, what the hell. You need to change the Duesy link, by the way - check the spelling of 'angelfire'.

Cheers,
Bob

For Leonard,

I've found a more exact match to what the Carter car was described to have looked like, and this print concurs with the popular writings and TV and movie depictions as well, it is a 1911 Renault AX Limousine.

And to clarify things from Cameron's movie, the Jack and Rose back seat scene would not have happened in reality because the car would have been crated for shipping and would not be unpacked until it reached the New York docks

Best Regards,

Brian

72013.jpg

Back