The Titanic and Silent Cinema

Blindfold yourselves, Mo and Michael S. There's a new threat to your wallet on the market in the form of a book entitled "The Titanic and Silent Cinema" by Stephen Bottomore. It's printed in England by a company called The Projection Box, and the printing is only 500 copies.

The author is a film history buff rather than a Titanic enthusiast, so he comes to the Titanic story with a different perspective. For his Titanic information, he draws heavily from the Encyclopedia-Titanica website and people like George Behe and Don Lynch. For his Titanic movie history, he parallels Simon Mills. Along the way he acknowledges and footnotes all their contributions very well.

But it is his history of the silent cinema --- slides, newsreels, and films --- that makes this book different from all the rest and worthwhile. He draws on sources that most Titanic historians are probably not aware of. Who has ever heard of
the "Kinematograph and Lantern Weekly",
the "Optical Lantern and Cinematograph Journal",
the "Moving Picture News", and
"Moving Picture World"?
True, in his "The Titanic in Pictures", Simon Mills mentions "Kinematograph Weekly" (wonder if that's the same publication?) a few times, but Bottomore has even more information about early American cinema history.

"Titanic and the Silent Cinema" talks about passengers with a film background: Daniel Marvin, William Thomas Stead, Jacques Futrelle, Noel Malachard, Arne Fahlstrom, and William Harbeck. There's a 22 page chapter on Harbeck, and that alone made the book worthwhile for me.

There's a detailed background on the many newsreels of the Titanic, and how profitable they were for early theatres, and there's stories about the cinema's involvement in relief efforts.

One warning. Even though the author credits ET everytime, it's a little annoying to have some things written word for word. Everybody who has read this sentence before, please raise your hand: "He died in the sinking, and his body, if recovered, was never identified."

All in all, though, this is a thoroughly enjoyable book and a worthy edition to your Titanic library.

Mike Herbold
California

Hey Mike,

Is there any mention of a 1914 version of 'Titanic'? I can't remember which website I read that but it listed all (supposedly) the cinema efforts to portray the tragedy and just after the Dorothy Gibson 1912 effort there was one listed for 1914 made (if I remember correctly) in Italy.

Best regards,
Cook

I'll probably hear about it when it hits the shelves. I have an e-mail notification thing lined up with Amazon.com. My blind fold is never off when it comes to new Titanic books.
happy.gif

Getting me to buy some of them is another matter entirely. Fortunately, a lot of the birdcage bottom bait is rapidly disappearing.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Cook: What a memory, OM. Sort of.

He talks about the following releases of Dorothy Gibson's film:
Germany, July 6, 1912 -- "Was die Titanic sie lehrte"
France, July 19, 1912 -- "La Survivante du Titanic"
Britain, July 25, 1912 -- "A Survivor of the Titanic"

Bottomore doesn't mention an Italian version specifically, but wait...
He does mention a very expensive December 1913 Danish film called "Atlantis," based on a fictional book that came out just before the Titanic disaster.

He also references two other fictional films that are related to the Titanic. "Bought," a 1915 film that references a Titanic victim and "A Fool There Was" (1914) in which Theda Bara travels on the "Gigantic."

In the notes in the back, he refers to a 1915 Italian film called "Titanic", but says it has nothing to do with the ship; rather, Titanic is a new kind of mineral.

George: Please don't renew your "Kinematograph" by mail. I'll send the kids over. They get to go to camp, that way.

Michael: Doesn't look like this one will ever hit amazon. To get a copy, write to Stephen Herbert at:
[email protected]
Total, including shipping from the UK was $32
PROJECTION BOX Website:
http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~s-herbert/ProjectionBox.htm

Thank you Mike H!
happy.gif

The book sounds like an interesting contribution to the few works on Titanic in screen culture - and I am very interested in cultural interpretations, their history and critiques (novels, poetry, stage and screen). My order enquiry is already on its way.

Again, many thanks.

F

Mike Herbold, you cad. My pennies were just now beginning to fill the bottom of that dixie cup/cheery fizzies dispenser lid I won on another film thread here awhile back and now another book?

But I love film stuff.....man, Herbold! This book sounds great! 500.......hmmmmmm......
he he (or as tracy says,....giggles...I love that one!)

Maureen.

Mike,

Thanks for the news of this little book. FYI, the oddly titled Kinematograph Weekly, funny-sounding though it is today, was a British film mag BUT was widely distributed in the US along with our leading movie mags Photoplay and Motion Picture Magazine. They were the equivalent to today's Entertainment Weekly. The Kinematograph is extremely rare to find these days. There was a 1913 bound volume that sold recently on eBay for some wild sum.

Randy

PS) By the way I got your crazy little email sent some time ago to my old address which is disabled but I can occasionally retrieve messages. Thanks! I had a big laugh.

Hey Mike,

You wrote: > on the notes in the back, he refers to a 1915 Italian film called "Titanic", but says it has nothing to do with the ship; rather, Titanic is a new kind of mineral. <

I'll bet this is the one mentioned on that website. They probably just went by the title. Thanks, O M. I thought I was going nuts!

Best regards,
Cook

Back