Thickness of Deck Floors including Pine, Plating, C-Frames and Ceiling Molding?

FreddyV1975

Hi, I am curious to know how thick the deck floors of Titanic were? I understand that the pine planking and teak margin planking were 3 inches thick (except under the anchor chains where the teak was 4 inches), but what about under that? How thick was the steel? If I had to guess, it might be 0.5 inches, but if anyone knows any different could you please enlighten me? Also, were all the C-frames that hold up the deck plating 9 inches tall for every deck, or was there variation from deck to deck? Does anyone have the C-frame heights for each deck? In many parts of the ship, the ceilings were dressed to conceal the steelwork and provide a stylish molding suitable for first class comfort. Does anyone know how thick the ceiling plaster/molding was?

Hi Fred,

Welcome aboard! You're just up the road from me; I'm in Niagara Falls.

How thick was the steel?
According to my copy of "Titanic: The Ship Magnificent Volume 1: Design & Construction" it states:
"The floors in Titanic's double bottom were placed at every frame; generally they were made of steel plates 15/20in thick, reducing to 11/20in towards the ends of the ship. The thickness of steel plate was normally specified in twentieths of an inch."

Also, were all the C-frames that hold up the deck plating 9 inches tall for every deck, or was there variation from deck to deck?
Again from my copy, "The frames extended continuously from the Tank Top to the stringer plates of the Bridge, Poop and Forecastle Decks. Those extending to the Bridge Deck had an average height of 66ft and weighed nearly one ton each."

There is a lot more information on all this including many excellent illustrations, but it is way too much to post here without infringing on copyrights. If you can get copies of Volumes 1 and 2, I highly recommend it.

Does anyone know how thick the ceiling plaster/molding was?
I don't see anything on that in the book but if I do I'll post it, unless someone else beats me to it.

I hope this helps.

The hull bottom steel wasn’t what I was looking for, but the deck floor steel. The C-channel frames I was asking about are the transverse frames that form the deck’s cambers from port to starboard.

The hull bottom steel wasn’t what I was looking for,
Well I misunderstood, my apologies. Upon looking further through the book, I see many illustrations indicating various measurements, but I don't see anything regarding the deck floor steel. Although I could just be missing it.

I don't know if this answers your question, but "Titanic's decks had an overall athwartship camber of 3in in 92ft, meaning that on a ship having a breadth overall of 92ft, the deck would be 3in higher at the centreline than at the sides when measured at the broadest point". Source: TITANIC: The Ship Magnificent Volume 1: Design & Construction

Perhaps this will further assist you:

As well:

"..from B deck on down, Titanic's decks were supported by transverse channel beams 9in in depth, except in specific areas such as the decks within the hold spaces, where the depth was increased to 10in."

That’s good info. I had assumed that all decks were sheathed with yellow pine, but that bit about Litosilo is great. Also the 10-inch transverse channel beams in the holds is helpful. Thanks for the info!

Back