Third class sanitary conditions

Marco C. Ruo

Marco Carlo Ruo
I recently read that in third class there were only two bathrooms, and that many men urinated in the darkest corners at night, I wonder: How much must there be in these corridors and rooms of poor and not very clean people? It seems strange to me that no one talks about the real conditions and the dirt (even if they were better than the previous ones)... especially at night, where do you do your business from the chamber pot, who would have disposed of them? I think the chamber pot would stay full until the next day. Wasn't living in rooms with so many beds unbearable? What about ventilation technology? Sounds like a nightmare to me but I would like to understand more!!

Good day to you,

I recently read that in third class there were only two bathrooms, and that many men urinated in the darkest corners at night
These two points aren't connected in any way, since it refers to there only being two bathtubs (both located on D-deck). There were 7 public lavatories (3 for women and 4 for men) in third class located on D and E-deck. There was no need for any chamber pots. It is believed that the incident that you mentioned on the Olympic happened because someone either couldn't hold it or wasn't used to having flowing water at home.
Wasn't living in rooms with so many beds unbearable?
The largest third class cabins had a capacity of 10 people, and there were only two of those. The Titanic unlike the Olympic also didn't had any open berths. Most of the time on-board was spent outside your cabin or stateroom and while a bit cramped it wasn't unbearable.
What about ventilation technology?
Having seen the ventilation plans of the Olympic (albeit after a refit in the 1920s) I can assure you that the third class accommodation was ventilated.

Kind regards,

Thomas

Good day to you,

These two points aren't connected in any way, since it refers to there only being two bathtubs (both located on D-deck). There were 7 public lavatories (3 for women and 4 for men) in third class located on D and E-deck. There was no need for any chamber pots. It is believed that the incident that you mentioned on the Olympic happened because someone either couldn't hold it or wasn't used to having flowing water at home.

The largest third class cabins had a capacity of 10 people, and there were only two of those. The Titanic unlike the Olympic also didn't had any open berths. Most of the time on-board was spent outside your cabin or stateroom and while a bit cramped it wasn't unbearable.

Having seen the ventilation plans of the Olympic (albeit after a refit in the 1920s) I can assure you that the third class accommodation was ventilated.

Kind regards,

Thomas
Thank you for your answer sir, You are right, I confused the bathtubs with the toilets, however the problem still exists, the toilets were still few, if people in 2023 treat public toilets as latrines, I don't imagine in 1912, especially the poor menstruating women. However, it must have been hell for the stewards and hostesses and those who used them above all.... What did they use to disinfect? I don't think there was someone 24 hours ready to clean

Last edited by a moderator:
I confused the bathtubs with the toilets, however the problem still exists, the toilets were still few, if people in 2023 treat public toilets as latrines, I don't imagine in 1912, especially the poor menstruating women. However, it must have been hell for the stewards and hostesses and those who used them above all. I don't think there was someone 24 hours ready to clean
You are right in that the thought is mind-boggling. I have always been a bit paranoid about personal hygiene, especially with regard to daily ablutions. This is to the extent that whenever I see films or TV shows depicting people marooned on islands, stuck in crowded rooms or even simply camping outdoors, I cannot help thinking "Good God, what do they do to keep themselves clean? How can they kiss without brushing their teeth?" etc. But standards back then were different, I guess; many people had no access to flushing toilets or even clean running water round the clock.

With regarding to transatlantic travel, I have read that in the 18th and 19th centuries, ships took "steerage" passengers across under hellish conditions and then often used the same spaces to transport livestock on the eastbound return trips. One can only imagine what it must have been like.

What did they use to disinfect?
I may be wrong but one strong possibility is "Black Phenyle", a sort of emulsified mixture of phenolic compounds, coal-tar derivatives and oils (mainly pine oil). Its use was common in India during the British Raj and lasted well into the 20th Century. In fact, Black Phenyle is still available in India although there are less toxic modern alternatives, of course.

I think I'll have to work up some courage (perhaps of the 'Dutch' kind) to read that article. I have this tendency to form scenes in my mind when it comes to such things. Tell me, is it too.....er, descriptive?

I think I'll have to work up some courage (perhaps of the 'Dutch' kind) to read that article. I have this tendency to form scenes in my mind when it comes to such things. Tell me, is it too.....er, descriptive?
One of the more mild ones compared to some I've read. I've seen conditions that were even worse in real life. Many places in the world I've been too were definantly not the French Riviera. Cheers.

Even into the1960`s at Hunstanton, Norfolk, the public toilets vented into the sea, so all toilet refuse would reach the beach that folks ventured, I was a child then , and my father understood that, so would not let me enter the sea there... and i saw turds in the water... washing up on the beach.. Worse... the swimming pool and the boating lake, used seawater... pumped in - so stuff from the toilets went into those too... in the late 40`s and 50`s thousands of tourists every summer, used those toilets. and the beach the pipes ran out into the sea on. The idea that the Titanic, was unhealthy all those years before, is not singular, the toilet facilities for many were bucket and pour.. The Thames for example became so polluted not just by toilet refuse, but industrial refuse as well, that nothing, lived in its waters, except rats, the most survivable rodent we know. It is only since, that folks have used drugs and chemicals, and contagious diseases, that are far worse than s~~~ and piss... Piss is almost non reactionary initially.. its inactive.. so though not something one would do, by preference, pissing on a bleeding cut, is very unlikely to hurt one.. Touching dung ( s~~~) of any kind is also no worse than putting you hand in garden manure, and scooping up a handful - the rule is do not put it in your mouth.. The best way a human body can evolve to protect itself is by coming into contact with things that can harm it, and evolving a defence,,, the problem is that evolution cannot keep up with technology... that moves at faster and faster speeds. yet evolution gave us technology. nature in effect, provides its own killers, BECAUSE? nature has no bias. if it works, it will work it, and so death and life are just points in time.

Even into the1960`s at Hunstanton, Norfolk, the public toilets vented into the sea, so all toilet refuse would reach the beach that folks ventured, I was a child then , and my father understood that, so would not let me enter the sea there... and i saw turds in the water... washing up on the beach.. Worse... the swimming pool and the boating lake, used seawater... pumped in - so stuff from the toilets went into those too... in the late 40`s and 50`s thousands of tourists every summer, used those toilets. and the beach the pipes ran out into the sea on. The idea that the Titanic, was unhealthy all those years before, is not singular, the toilet facilities for many were bucket and pour.. The Thames for example became so polluted not just by toilet refuse, but industrial refuse as well, that nothing, lived in its waters, except rats, the most survivable rodent we know. It is only since, that folks have used drugs and chemicals, and contagious diseases, that are far worse than s~~~ and piss... Piss is almost non reactionary initially.. its inactive.. so though not something one would do, by preference, pissing on a bleeding cut, is very unlikely to hurt one.. Touching dung ( s~~~) of any kind is also no worse than putting you hand in garden manure, and scooping up a handful - the rule is do not put it in your mouth.. The best way a human body can evolve to protect itself is by coming into contact with things that can harm it, and evolving a defence,,, the problem is that evolution cannot keep up with technology... that moves at faster and faster speeds. yet evolution gave us technology. nature in effect, provides its own killers, BECAUSE? nature has no bias. if it works, it will work it, and so death and life are just points in time.
Coming in contact with bacteria is essential for the immune system to produce antibodies. But an unhealthy condition like the ones you describe is excessive. Most ships up until the late 1800s and large cities had terrible epidemics caused by just these conditions. Typhoid, cholera, have you ever heard of them? 100 years ago the world was full of deadly infectious diseases caused precisely by poor hygiene, contaminated water and food. And trust me, they were much stronger and had much more antibodies than today, since infant mortality provided for natural selection. In Italy we learn these things in elementary school during history and science lessons. I don't know how it works for you.

If the third class are use to one tin bath a week and is sheared within the family, who needs a bath on a crossing lease than one week?
Most of them probably didn't take a bath. Maybe just a wash cloth here and there. In the 1960's where we lived in europe a bath once a week was not that uncommon. I only know that because my dear mom often commented on it. She wasn't down with that. I was little then. Didn't bother me...LOL.

Most of them probably didn't take a bath. Maybe just a wash cloth here and there. In the 1960's where we lived in europe a bath once a week was not that uncommon. I only know that because my dear mom often commented on it. She wasn't down with that. I was little then. Didn't bother me...LOL.
Surely in third class the bathtubs were little used. The poor didn't have water at home in 1912, think about going to the fountain, fill two buckets, come home, go to the fountain again, fill two more buckets. Light the fire, put water in a pot.. Very few did. So in one cabin we already have 4 smelly people who haven't washed their clothes in a long time. Now let's imagine today's public toilets, that we live in fear of bacteria and viruses, and they are repulsive anyway... Then we think of 700 people in the bottom of a ship in 1912... I don't understand why there are people who keep saying that living like this was "bearable"...

I was on a ship in the late 70's. When at sea everything was pumped/drained in the ocean. Everything was thrown overboard then too. We even had a watch stander that made sure the trash bags would sink otherwise the russian trawlers would scoop it up. I agree with what you and Marcoaddirlo have said. Natural immunity is a great thing. It's why humans are still here. Only thing I would add is that I was always make sure to keep up on my tetanus shots. There are some things in nature you don't want to gamble with. Cheers.

The personal hygiene on WSL ships for third class passengers must of been of been bit of luxury as to what they had at home. Toilet down the bottom of the garden with newspaper for toilet paper. No tin baths, heating and electric lights wow.
Surely for them it was a luxury, but for us today it would not be the ship of dreams as we think when looking at James Cameron's masterpiece... The fact is that I'm tired of all the romanticized stories and I would like to know more about this ship, in its more horrible and magnificent aspects!

Back