Three berth cabins (B deck and C deck)

Ricky B

Hi,

When looking at the deck plans, on B deck, cabins such as B-64 has the second and third bed shown as a rectangle with a rectangle. Would this have been a bed that would had been pulled from beneath on wheels? And would a steward have had to rearrange the furniture to accommodate the third bed i.e. the chaise longue? It is interesting also, as the main double bed is also shown as a rectangle within a rectangle. I assumed that 'Bed 1' was a four poster due to the rectangles, but I'm now unsure as bed 2 and 3 has them as well.

Then, when you look at cabin B-66, it is almost the same setup as B-64, but the beds do not have the extra rectangles. Is the third bed here, a pullman berth? If so, would this not block the light coming in from the window/porthole? The third bed can also be seen on the same wall in the C deck cabins.

Can anyone help with this?

Many thanks :)

B-64 and B-66 were two-berth cabins. Throughout the site’s deck plans, which reflect White Star’s berth numbering, odd numbers are lower berths and even numbers are upper berths. Also, under the stateroom number, the number of berths is given. So, these staterooms don’t have a Berth 2. As far as I know, double rectangles do represent freestanding “bedsteads” rather than traditional connected-to-the-ship berths. The double rectangles are seen on some 1912-era plans as well. All these features are easy to miss on the deck plans here; every one contains many useful details that can be hard to decipher without the key. Even the key doesn’t include details on berth numbers and cabin capacities, or the symbols used to indicate spaces reconstructed from data on Olympic in the absence of any on Titanic.

Back