Titanic Auction

So what's the scoop on the Guernsey preview? I had planned to go to Manhattan today but the heat was ungodly. There was a big article in the Providence Journal on expected prices for tomorrow. A half of a lifejacket which was cut off a corpse is expected to fetch $44,000. The article went on to explain that the jackets were cut off at the shoulders to make recovery in the water easier-a knife right through the canvas. Sounds a bit gruesome to be auctioning something like that, but then- there are many unusual things going on the block. I heard some ET folks were going down and then meeting for dinner, do tell us what we all missed!

The catalogue for this auction is incredible and will probably become a collector's item itself. A single yellowed slip of paper called a "facing slip" with directions on it for routing mail which was found on Oscar Woody's body is expected to fetch 15-17,000 dollars today. John William Gill's bag of possessions were sent back to his new bride Sarah, who saved everything over the years. A collar button from that parcel is projected to go for 8-10,000 dollars and a letter from WSL asking if she had received the package of his belongings, 5-7,000 dollars. Gary Robinson's 19 inch chunk of the grand staircase of carved wood retrieved by the Minia, and made of English oak, was once a picture frame. The 4 segments are being sold separately and a single strip may go for 50-60,000 dollars. Amazing. There's a linoleum tile and a bolt of cloth used to upholster chairs as well. Guess it pays to hold on to everything-now I have an excuse!

Fortunately, the weather today wasn't as bad as yesterday, Shelly; it was quite a bit cooler, with a nice breeze from time to time, and the predicted thunderstorms never arrived.

The life jacket went for $7,500; the deck chair, $8,500; the Woody facing slip, $8,500; the Gill collar button, $2,750; the letter didn't sell; the 19" grand staircase piece, $23,000.

The other top prices were for: 14 April first class dinner menu, $75,000; a lifeboat name plaque, $38,000; a letter by victim George Graham, on Titanic stationery, $20,000; a 12 April 3d class menu, $20,000. Another 10 or so items went for between $10,000 and $20,000.

Back