News Titanic Experience project proposed for Port of Halifax

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
A business development firm has identified a potential site at the Port of Halifax in Nova Scotia for a proposed Titanic Experience replica ship, restaurant and aquarium.

Note: The image included in this article is from a project that I am involved with and how it may look. The people behind this project are using it as their own without, permission or attribution.

Halifax has long held an historic connection to one of the greatest marine disasters following the sinking of RMS Titanic in 1912. Not only did the Mayflower Curling Club act as a temporary morgue, the city is also the final resting place for many of the passengers. Parts of James Cameron's 1997 film about the disaster were shot in Halifax, including the Fairview Lawn Cemetery.

Now, 110 years later, a Halifax-based business development group is proposing something being described as a Titanic Experience replica ship, restaurant and aquarium. Clark Squires says he had posted about it on his LinkedIn page when it gained traction and launched a flurry of media requests. He discusses the beginnings of the $300-million project, how they plan to pay for it and how to address the sensitivities around "disaster tourism."

I listened to the podcast. I wouldn't invest in it.
As did I and I'm not sure, if it would work or is even needed. Mainly due to the fact that there is already the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic which has been in Halifax since 1948 and on the waterfront, for the last 40 years. It is Canada's oldest and largest Maritime Museum which has a terrific exhibition, on the Titanic. I noted that the Museum wasn't even mentioned. Methinks they will (if it gets approved) just be competing against each other, for tourism revenue.

Last edited:
The numbers sound off to me. I don't see it making enough money to make it sustainable over the long run. Besides how many projects would this make for building a copy of Titanic? I haven't heard of any of the others even being finished. Just pitches for more money. Cheers.

... Besides how many projects would this make for building a copy of Titanic? I haven't heard of any of the others even being finished. Just pitches for more money...
Before deciding if any proposal for an entertainment, sports, or museum type of project is worth any of their attention, the people writing (or reading) articles like the one linked in the first post should immediately ask if those behind the proposal have the money to build it. If they don't, or they're saying something like it will be financed by investors "we haven’t yet attracted to the business", it's almost certainly just renderings that will get a few people excited about a fantasy that will never become reality. Just in my region in recent years I've lost count of the number of proposals for large arenas, stadiums, super-speedways, and entertainment venues that were nothing but hot air and some nice looking artwork.

Before deciding if any proposal for an entertainment, sports, or museum type of project is worth any of their attention, the people writing (or reading) articles like the one linked in the first post should immediately ask if those behind the proposal have the money to build it. If they don't, or they're saying something like it will be financed by investors "we haven’t yet attracted to the business", it's almost certainly just renderings that will get a few people excited about a fantasy that will never become reality.
While that may be true, the financial market also dictates a lot of it as well. A project of this scale requires a certain number of investors who have a lot of money. However Covid-19 has caused a detrimental effect on the global economy which in turn, forced a change in the nature of commercial real estate. Investors are not confident right now to invest in any project, as the market is unstable. So until it improves, proposals such as this will never get off the ground.

Back