Titanic Film Found in Attic in Glasgow

It's a shot of the Titanic in Belfast in February. It was still being fitted out and A Deck was still open.

I've seen that shot several times before. But the shot of the "rescue officials" is new to me (...big deal!). Looks like Rostron standing in the middle.

Roy

Dear All,

Thought I would add to the post, indeed it is Titanic as can be seen from name in large letters on the bow of the ship! This version at over 12 mins long unedited and unaltered has a number of shots that are previously unseen. There are several other edited versions in the public domain, one of which we sold in September and also others in the Reuters archive.

The film will be on public view prior to our auction in Southampton. So far a limited number of Titanic enthusiasts have had the privilege of seeing it in full and have been enthralled, make the trip to Southampton and enjoy.

Regards

Andrew

www.henry-aldridge.co.uk

Hello, Andrew!

Thank you for the clarification. Are there any plans to make a video transfer of the print so the rest of us, although we won't possess the original, will at least be able to see those new shots?

Roy

Dear Roy, Geoff and all

The film will only be on show in the viewing room of the auction prior to the BTS convention on the 8th. Of course it will not be permissable for anyone to attempt to copy it during the viewing.

You dont have to buy anything to attend the sale though, we dont believe in making our sales entrance by catalogue only. Just come along and soak up the atmosphere it is a facsinating day out and as the curtain raiser to the BTS convention, the prelude to a great weekend.

Regards

Andrew

I've just seen some of the film on TV. Parts seem unfamiliar to me. From what I've been able to discover, there could be about 5 minutes of previously unseen footage. The quality is very good. I presume the buyer will want to recover the investment by selling copies. Here's hoping!

Hi, Just received this from Northern Ireland, little bit’s of information helps to make the big picture.

Subject: [belfast-titanic] FOUND FILM ABOUT TITANIC

No doubt you have heard the news about the 12 minute film showing Titanic in Belfast. This film was found in a loft in a house in Glasgow,

The quality of the film is very good. Part of the film has just been shown on BBC and Ulster Television. UTV started off by showing only part of the film and they wondered whether it was Titanic or Olympic, however near the end was the proof. Cut in on the port bow was the word TITANIC.

The film seems to be from mid March 1912 and not 2nd April 1912 like some have claimed.

There is also very good footage of the Carpathia.

Best regards

Jim C

Frank would be right about the film of Titanic at the fitting out dock. Some clown on local TV said it was taken after Titanic finished her trials. but the workers' lavatory hanging from the starboard bow proves otherwise. The Carpathia looked fine. So do the shots of survivors in lifebelts.

Back