Whilst looking on Amazon for possible Titanic books to buy in the future, I came across "Titanic and her Sisters Olympic and Britannic" by Peter Davies-Garner. a model making book describing technical details of the Olympic class vessels should you wish to build one from scratch. (Link to book: Titanic and her Sisters Olympic and Britannic (Shipcraft 18): Amazon.co.uk: Peter Davies-Garner: 9781848321106: Books)

using the "Looking Inside" feature I came across this photo of the Titanic and SS Nomadic just after the launch on May 31st 1911 (Below):
Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 14.08.47.png

(Photo used for informative purposes only.)

Scanning the photo, I noticed on the Extreme Right a few pixels resembling a Funnel...
Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 14.08.47 2.png

As current research suggest Olympic was at Belfast till 4:30 PM (unless I wrong), is this the Olympic's first funnel, prior to her departing for Liverpool?

Any info on this photo would be greatly appreciated.

I didn't state 100% it's the Olympic, but it does look like the funnel we all familiar with. This photo (Below) taken May 31st shows the Olympic prior to her leaving for Liverpool (note the flags dressing the liner which match those taken at Liverpool on June 1st).
tumblr_n5qhg9PJod1qgen3wo2_1280.jpg

My research currently shows she left the Fitting Out Wharf at 16:30 (If the time is right) and then had to do a 180 turn to leave the River Lagan and enter Belfast Lough.

As she's making the turn, having left the Wharf, Titanic is then moved by tug so Fitting out could begin the next day. we see the SS Jackal already moored against Titanic.

As for the Nomadic, she also left at the same time along with the SS Traffic (Not pictured).

Hope this explains my reasoning. I could be wrong, but if so that's why I asked the question...

What do you mean with Guests? If Nomadic is steaming towards Olympic, would she still be within the boundaries of Harland and Wolff?

Guest of WSL for the launch of the Titanic who were transfered a few hours after the launch to Olympic doing he sailing to Liverpool. Nomadic & Traffic also left Belfast.

I didn't state 100% it's the Olympic, but it does look like the funnel we all familiar with. This photo (Below) taken May 31st shows the Olympic prior to her leaving for Liverpool (note the flags dressing the liner which match those taken at Liverpool on June 1st)..

From what I know that picture was taken on 27 March 1911 with the public Inspection 2 days before her sea trials.

From what I know that picture was taken on 27 March 1911 with the public Inspection 2 days before her sea trials.

I didn't know that.

Guest of WSL for the launch of the Titanic who were transfered a few hours after the launch to Olympic doing he sailing to Liverpool. Nomadic & Traffic also left Belfast.

That must have been a busy day as they had to double back from the Grand Central Hotel Banquet to then go by Nomadic to Olympic.

Did this mean Nomadic and Traffic weren't used as Viewing Platforms for the launch?

Last edited:
That must have been a busy day as they had to double back from the Grand Central Hotel Banquet to then go by Nomadic to Olympic.

It was not only the launch of Titanic, on the same day Olympic, Traffic & Nomadic were handed over to the WSL. Olympic left for Liverpool, Nomadic & Traffic for Cherbourg.

Did this mean Nomadic and Traffic weren't used as Viewing Platforms for the launch?

I do not know of any primary source that they were used as viewing platforms. The Duke of Argyll was used having guest from Liverpool.

There is a head on view of a ship taken during Titanic's Launch if I can recall (This was the biggest picture I could find at short notice for reference). Is this the Duke Of Argyll?

350303942978.jpg

Yes that is the Duke of Argyll. I must have somewhere a much better image. Of course there where other small ships there too but would need to search for my file as I can not remember the names.

Duke of Argyll.jpg

Since we on the topic of ships in photos, is it safe to assume this tugboat seen here moving Titanic is the Harland & Wolff tug Hercules (1885)?
Hercules Harland & Wolff Tug 2.png

Out of interest, despite my research showing no connections to the Alexandra Towing Company, why does her funnel have the same colours as other A.T.C tugboats (Black top, White strip, Black line and the rest in a "bluff" colour?

Back