Titanic lifeboat davits.

In 1973_my boss who was a Scouser came back from lunch with a roll of blueprints that he said were last plans of the Titanic. I managed to persuade him to open the roll. He was afraid I would mix the sheets up but the sheet I wanted of the boat deck was the second sheet. I used my handbag and other objects to keep the sheets flat.

The sheets were blue and my object was to examine the boat divots. To my delight each one was marked in red ink, each of the markings were in the same writing but I cannot remember if the small notes were initialled. I knew from a previous job that blueprints that had alterations etc. made in red ink that were later copied the red markings would then appear black. These markings were definitely in red ink.

The markings each read to be replaced by another sort of divot. This to me was proof of another book I had read that the divots were changed so lifeboats could be stacked inside each other so there could be more people accommodated.

Since the 1980's I have watched avidly any film of the discovered wreck to see what the divots on the ship looked like. Were the replacements mentioned on the plans done.

Another query about this comes from information, hearsay, from another Ancestry member to me that his grandfather a youth in Belfast started at H and W just after the sinking and was given the job with a longserving employee to paint out the name Titanic on new lifeboats, the grandfather had said the painting was done in secret. May be the divots weren't changed or may be the extra life boats did not arrive in time.

Anyone else know about divots, and if those on the wreck or in photographs before the ship sailed looked different

Sad to think that late arrival of new boats or the putting off of fitting different divots could have caused all that loss of life and misery.

Not to be too pedantic about it, but a divot is a piece of sod you gouge out if you swing a golf club too close to the ground. Lifeboats hang on davits. You are correct, however, that Titanic’s original design called for stacked lifeboats. This was changed because the stacked boats impeded the view of the ocean from the adjacent first class suites on the boat deck. Tragic decision! BTW, it’s amazing you got to see original blueprints. Lucky you!

Back