I must take exception to the author's choice of Bethany or Horbury as the best contenders for the tune played for Nearer My God To  Thee if it was in fact played by the Titanic's orchestra.  I believe that Propior Deo would've been the tune.  It was in the Anglican Hymnals of the day and while the Titanic's "Band Master" was not Anglican, the protestant worship and sacred music on White Star ships was based on Anglican sources.  Furthermore other hymnals including Methodist included Propior Deo.  His Father was a Church Organist/Choirmaster and his parents put Propior Deo (first couple of measures) on his Grave Marker. (not the musicians memorial but his personal grave marker).  I also think there is one other thing that might indicate that he did, in fact, play Nearer My God To Thee.  There is evidence that he said to friends "If I'm ever on a sinking ship, I'd play Nearer My God To Thee".

Sorry to take so long to reply - I don't usually follow my articles very much. I think you may well be right, as it was a Methodist rendition, and Wallace Hartley was a Methodist (as were my forebears). Possibly, it might have been rather difficult on the night - it's not an easy tune. It's on YouTube, as I've just heard it. And very lovely. ... Thanks for your input. Monica

Thank you, Jack. I don't much follow my articles, so that's why it's taken so long to reply. Your work was very useful indeed, as was so many other people's. I just tried to pull it together a bit.

Back