Ian Donaldson

Ian
I have recently published my own contribution to the general Titanic portfolio of books.
The title is Titanic: The Truth On Trial and is the first of three books I hope will stimulate discussion and further enquiry on what I feel is a neglected aspect of the Titanic story: the official Inquiries and the evidence presented.
Those who felt at the time and even today that the whole process was a 'whitewash' can glean much in the way of an explanation of why this was believed to be so.
The book is available as an ebook and paperback with the option of hardback version should that be your preference.
Please check it out on Amazon, Barnes and Noble etc., and I hope you enjoy the experience as much as I enjoyed writing it.
Thank you, EncyclopediaTitanica!

I have recently published my own contribution to the general Titanic portfolio of books.
The title is Titanic: The Truth On Trial and is the first of three books I hope will stimulate discussion and further enquiry on what I feel is a neglected aspect of the Titanic story: the official Inquiries and the evidence presented.
Those who felt at the time and even today that the whole process was a 'whitewash' can glean much in the way of an explanation of why this was believed to be so.
The book is available as an ebook and paperback with the option of hardback version should that be your preference.
Please check it out on Amazon, Barnes and Noble etc., and I hope you enjoy the experience as much as I enjoyed writing it.
Thank you, EncyclopediaTitanica!
Ian…as a so called Titanic historian the gives lectures. one of which is called Titanic Separating Truth from Fiction have become greatly concerned with the significant increase in all the conspiracy theories relating to the sinking of the ship.

I’ll be interested to read your new book and would love to see an in-depth factual, extrapolation of Smith’s investigation in the US versus British Board of Trades slightly white washed typically British findings. (have a 1912 facsimile of the BBoT report that I bought at a Christie’s auction in the 90’s)

In my opinion, the facts cannot be disputed as to what led up to the founding of the Titanic. An old Master, on his retirement trip was careless and negligent, and failed to display the leadership or discipline required to the small crew of officers.
(failure of a consistent policy to post ice warnings to the chart room) lighting additional boilers each day of the trip, thereby increasing the speed.
Significant lack of knowledge by the officers on board of the ship, since many were on the ship for the first time: ie initial decision by officer of the watch to reverse the engines, thereby cutting off the center turbine propeller, which produces the most turning capability) after the collision, a complete breakdown of serious chain of command with inconsistent decision making, none of which was really led by Captain Smith, who pretty much just went into shock. The inexcusable loading of the lifeboats especially in the first hour…. And the list goes on.

So, I think Senator William Holden Smith did an outstanding job for a neophyte on attempting to determine the cause and poor decision-making that resulted in the collision and sinking of the Titanic. The American inquiry was able to take the stream out of the British port of trades boiler inquiry. (pun intended) This is because they were first to discover the blatant failures and negligence that led to the disaster.

I do think there may have been some whitewashing on the British side due to politics, and business reality, as well as they were all pretty pissed off at the United States for the events leading to their inquiry.

In my personal opinion, the real focus and investigation and truth of the matter needs to be focused on the Californian, as I definitely feel the collusion between the captain, first officer was a much greater importance than any white washing that occurred as a result of the collision and sinking. Captain Lords actions were criminal in the disappearance of scratch log. (I believe his first officer threw it overboard)

I do believe that critical information and facts that the surviving officer Lightoller failed, or refused to present, and admitted to would’ve been critical. It is presented that he was a company man, and was determined to protect the white star line.

However, overall, I do believe that we have a fairly factual course of events, and that there is really not too much more truth that can be uncovered without hypothesis, which, in itself leads to additional conspiracy theories by those with half a brain, lack of technical engineering, knowledge, lack of protocol, chain of command of the time and events of that era etc.

Please excuse my diatribe, but just wish to get my initial thoughts on finger to keyboard, so to speak.

Frederick

An old Master, on his retirement trip was careless and negligent, and failed to display the leadership or discipline required to the small crew of officers.
As Mark has pointed out, it is now doubted if the Titanic's maiden voyage was really Captain Smith's "retirement trip".
While Captain Smith was perhaps a shade overconfident, maybe even complacent, to call him "careless and negligent" would be inappropriate.

Significant lack of knowledge by the officers on board of the ship, since many were on the ship for the first time: ie initial decision by officer of the watch to reverse the engines
What "significant lack of knowledge"? For what it is worth, a lot of people, certainly including me, believe that First Officer Murdoch was by some margin the best officer on board the Titanic, including the Captain.
Most experts now believe that Murdoch put the engines to "Full Stop" and NOT "Full Astern". The only "evidence" to the latter was the testimony of Fourth Officer Boxhall, which was in itself quite improbable. I suggest you read the relevant chapter in Sam Halpern's excellent book Prelude To An Allison.

a complete breakdown of serious chain of command with inconsistent decision making, none of which was really led by Captain Smith, who pretty much just went into shock.
What evidence do you have that Captain Smith "went into shock"? Perhaps he was not as effective as he could have been but he was involved with loading of the port side forward lifeboats. The Titanic was 882 and a bit feet long and Smith had to keep track of other things besides loading of lifeboats, for which there were designated officers. There were distress calls being sent and keeping rack of responses received, the rockets etc and Smith could not be everywhere. Yes, Smith did give a couple of very questionable orders like ordering the lifeboat crew to row to the distant light and back but that did not mean he went into ineffective shock.

The inexcusable loading of the lifeboats especially in the first hour
Murdoch did his best with loading the starboard forward lifeboats and the fact that they were only partially occupied was not really his fault, unlike on the port side. For some reason, there were fewer passengers congregating on the starboard side and even then many were reluctant to board the lifeboats. The first of those (and the first overall), Lifeboat #7, was not launched till 12:40am - an hour after the collision with the iceberg. With all 4 of the starboard forward boats, Murdoch first loaded women and children willing to get on board and then let men in. This included non-essential crewmen to try and make up numbers. In short, absolutely no one was stopped from entering Lifeboats #7, #5, #3 or #1 but like lookout Symons, in charge of Lifeboat #1 testified, there were no people in the vicinity to get into the lifeboat just before it started to lower. Murdoch only lowered his boats when he was left with no choice due to passing time; remember that by 12:40am he would have known that the Titanic was sinking but not that it would last till 02:20 am.

In my personal opinion, the real focus and investigation and truth of the matter needs to be focused on the Californian, as I definitely feel the collusion between the captain, first officer was a much greater importance than any white washing
Can you explain what makes you feel that there was a 'collusion' between Captain Lord and his "First Officer"? Besides Captain Lord, the Californian had Chief Officer Stewart, Second Officer Stone and Third Officer Groves. So, with whom was Lord supposed to have colluded with and to what purpose?

Many folks get rather distressed when I make my comments about Captain Smith.

I will say that there is almost nothing accurate in the film (its all Hollywood) except the actual sinking and break up..that was in my opinion rather accurate...although they could not show the double bottom keel (spine) that held the stern until the bow broke off and righted itself before it's final plunge. When it comes to Smith my analysis is of his behavior and lack of actions taken (ie: compared to Rostron of Carpathia) during the 2 hours and 40 mins closely resembles a man in shock who could not take control and make quick significant precise decisions.

As Mark has pointed out, it is now doubted if the Titanic's maiden voyage was really Captain Smith's "retirement trip".
While Captain Smith was perhaps a shade overconfident, maybe even complacent, to call him "careless and negligent" would be inappropriate.

What "significant lack of knowledge"? For what it is worth, a lot of people, certainly including me, believe that First Officer Murdoch was by some margin the best officer on board the Titanic, including the Captain.
Most experts now believe that Murdoch put the engines to "Full Stop" and NOT "Full Astern". The only "evidence" to the latter was the testimony of Fourth Officer Boxhall, which was in itself quite improbable. I suggest you read the relevant chapter in Sam Halpern's excellent book Prelude To An Allison.

What evidence do you have that Captain Smith "went into shock"? Perhaps he was not as effective as he could have been but he was involved with loading of the port side forward lifeboats. The Titanic was 882 and a bit feet long and Smith had to keep track of other things besides loading of lifeboats, for which there were designated officers. There were distress calls being sent and keeping rack of responses received, the rockets etc and Smith could not be everywhere. Yes, Smith did give a couple of very questionable orders like ordering the lifeboat crew to row to the distant light and back but that did not mean he went into ineffective shock.

Murdoch did his best with loading the starboard forward lifeboats and the fact that they were only partially occupied was not really his fault, unlike on the port side. For some reason, there were fewer passengers congregating on the starboard side and even then many were reluctant to board the lifeboats. The first of those (and the first overall), Lifeboat #7, was not launched till 12:40am - an hour after the collision with the iceberg. With all 4 of the starboard forward boats, Murdoch first loaded women and children willing to get on board and then let men in. This included non-essential crewmen to try and make up numbers. In short, absolutely no one was stopped from entering Lifeboats #7, #5, #3 or #1 but like lookout Symons, in charge of Lifeboat #1 testified, there were no people in the vicinity to get into the lifeboat just before it started to lower. Murdoch only lowered his boats when he was left with no choice due to passing time; remember that by 12:40am he would have known that the Titanic was sinking but not that it would last till 02:20 am.

Can you explain what makes you feel that there was a 'collusion' between Captain Lord and his "First Officer"? Besides Captain Lord, the Californian had Chief Officer Stewart, Second Officer Stone and Third Officer Groves. So, with whom was Lord supposed to have colluded with and to what purpose?
Hmm Arun...I have to clarify and respond to your comments. I will attempt to take them in order. First as an airline captain for 30 years I am master of my ship. Any accident or incident investigated by the FAA/NTSB will be the first to analyze and identify not only if human error was a cause or contributing factor to the accident. Just like any accident, it is normally a series of failures (human or mechanical) that lead to tragedy. rarely is there complete structural failure but almost 90% of investigations determine the flight crew is directly and indirectly blamed for the accident. Masters of ships are no different.

I believe that Capt Smith was negligent of his command duties (yes over confident and complacent) But I take it a step further...Captain Smith canceled a standard lifeboat drill the Sunday the same day as the collision...yes, he had a right to do this, but it is rarely, if ever, not done in those days. He had what I call a number of fiduciary duties (not monetary...for for safety and to prevent loss of life) Canceling a lifeboat drill on a maiden voyage is inexcusable...not a single passenger and most crew (800) knew where to go...which contributed to the terrible haphazard loading of the the lifeboats. This would have prevented 12 people being cast off in the first lifeboat that held 48-60. This is just one example. What about Smith pocketing Marconigrams with critical iceberg and navigation information not shared with crew on watch, or posted in the chart room? There are additional examples that would lead me to determine that Smith was negligent though not criminally so, as there was no intent to harm the ship or passengers.

Next...your comment about "significant lack of knowledge" You are correct both Smith and Murdoch had experience with Olympic..but that was it for all 9 officers. The ship was huge and for 80% of the naval officers were unfamiliar with the ship. It takes flight crews about 30 hours of flight time in "Class & Type" to truly know their aircraft and its limitations/idiosyncrasies. Not even the ONE day of sea trials had all officers and crew on board. There was a lot of pressure and a rush to get this ship prepared for the April sailing date that was delayed due to the coal strike.
Bottom line...the main line officers on board Titanic were sadly lacking of a great deal of knowledge about the ship.

Concerning the ships telegraph and whether it was put into reverse or not...no one for sure will know. How many officers knew that when the engines were reversed that that it shut down the center prop behind the rudder? The center turbine prop was designed only to be used in open ocean.

Evidence that Captain Smith went into shock...come on, now...his entire decision making processes was terrible. Speaking as a captain, he did not demonstrate critical decision making under pressure, and simply gave vague orders to senior officers, and allowed them to disseminate to implement....this is how come one side of the ship was women and children only (into the lifeboats) and the other side was women and children first...then men. Smith was simply overwhelmed by his inability to think clearly and critically can only be deduced that he was in a state of shock. 62 years old in 1912 was like being 88 today. don't take me literally...you know what I mean. I hate Cameron's make believe Titanic film but I think they got Smith close to how he must have been in those critical 2 hrs 40 mins. Are we OK on this point...or are you still saying he just made some poor decisions?

Your technical knowledge of the loading of every specific life boats is greater than mine, as this has not been a focus of my research, but I can see how most passengers would not want to get into a small wooden boat in the middle of the Atlantic at night. However, had there been a life boat drill 12 hours earlier that Sunday many more lives may have been saved. Also, there are many options to how the crew could have found passengers to load into those boats be it men, women, children or dogs! There was absolutely a disregard for the steerage passengers who were kept behind locked gates until shortly before foundering. We know this by the few steerage passengers who did survive all from the bow of the ship whose cabins floors flooded within 20 mins of striking the berg. (research Addergoole 14...only 3 survived...they provide an excellent glimpse into the reality for how steerage passengers were treated.

Lastly, about the master of the Californian...and I am no Lordite, but his behavior was a complete dereliction of his duty and responsibility as captain of his ship and crew. I have a theory that he was drinking in his cabin after his watch, and was intoxicated and asleep and that when contacted by bridge tube and when crew entered his cabin his responses to the rockets and other critical questions made absolutely no sense and what captain would not have bothered to wake up his Marconi operator. I believe that once Lord and his first officer found out the Titanic had sunk, they tried to quell the crew who most knew that had screwed up by not taking any action or responding which is why ultimately senator Smith heard about donkeyman Gill's statement that was published in the Boston paper upon their return to land. The crew "on watch" the night of Apirl 14th entered into the scratch log everything that occurred (to cover their ass) It was the captain in collusion with the first officer and others that disposed of the scratch log which is why there is nothing in the ships log about the entire incident other than vanilla reporting to the morning after. Just look at Lord Mersey's damming findings at the British Board of Trades investigation. The disappearance of the scratch log was specifically mentioned in the BBoT findings of the hearing of the Californian. The Brits did an excellent TV show about this called The Titanic Inquiry Crew of the SS Californian It can be found (out of focus) on YouTube.

Meanwhile, I shall await your rebuttal :)

Frederick

Last edited:
This would have prevented 12 people being cast off in the first lifeboat that held 48-60.
Not sure what you mean by the "first lifeboat" but since you mentioned that it could hold up to 60 people, you could only be referring to the standard wooden lifeboats. The first lifeboat launched, Lifeboat #7, was one such but it had 25 people, not 12. Lifeboat #1 per se was an already swung out emergency cutter and could hold up to 40 people and was the fifth or sixth overall to reach the water. It is true that it had only 12 people on board when lowered, but we have already been though the reasons why that happened a few times and so I see no point in going through that again.

What about Smith pocketing Marconigrams with critical iceberg and navigation information not shared with crew on watch, or posted in the chart room?
Smith pocketed just one - but vital - iceberg warning from another WSL ship, the Baltic. Yes, his handling of that important message was very questionable and theoretically at least might have helped to avoid the accident had Smith given it more importance.

You are correct both Smith and Murdoch had experience with Olympic..but that was it for all 9 officers
The last time I checked, the Titanic had Captain Smith and 7 Officers. Perhaps 2 more had stowed away?

Bottom line...the main line officers on board Titanic were sadly lacking of a great deal of knowledge about the ship.
That might be your opinion but it does not mean it was the truth.

There was absolutely a disregard for the steerage passengers who were kept behind locked gates until shortly before foundering
That myth about the steerage passengers being "kept behind locked gates" has been propagated by most Titanic films for dramatic effect. Again, that point has been discussed several times in the past in these forums. There were some gates that were kept locked during normal voyage because it was standard practice in those days to keep the Third Class passengers away from the 'higher' sections. It was just that in the confusion that occurred after the accident, most of those gates were not unlocked and it is possible that some passengers congregated behind them in the mistaken belief that it was their only way up to the boat deck. While the routes that the Third Class passengers had to take to reach the upper decks were long and convoluted, they were there. In fact, the very first Third Class passenger to survive, Fahim al-Zainni, was a single male traveller and so almost certainly berthed in the bow section. He managed to sneak into Lifeboat #6.

Lastly, about the master of the Californian...and I am no Lordite, but his behavior was a complete dereliction of his duty and responsibility as captain of his ship and crew. I have a theory that he was drinking in his cabin after his watch, and was intoxicated and asleep
Many people, including me, agree that as far as his own ship the Californian, was concerned, Captain Stanley Lord was excellent with his decisions. When he considered that it was unsafe to proceed through the ice, he stopped his ship for the night, but the routine watches were very much still in place. Having done that, Lord was just dozing in full uniform in the chart room and NOT asleep in his pajamas in his cabin like depicted in the 1958 film ANTR. That does not sound very much like "complete dereliction of duty".

As for his being "drunk, intoxicated and asleep" in his cabin, the less said about such a comment the better.

Hello Frederick.
I believe that Capt Smith was negligent of his command duties (yes over confident and complacent) But I take it a step further...Captain Smith canceled a standard lifeboat drill the Sunday the same day as the collision...yes, he had a right to do this, but it is rarely, if ever, not done in those days.
Canceling a lifeboat drill on a maiden voyage is inexcusable...not a single passenger and most crew (800) knew where to go...which contributed to the terrible haphazard loading of the the lifeboats.
First and foremost, the lifeboat drill that was cancelled wasn’t for the passengers but only for the crewmembers. This detailed article goes into deeper detail. The forgotten drills aboard Titanic
This would have prevented 12 people being cast off in the first lifeboat that held 48-60.
Emergency lifeboat number 1 was certified for 40 occupants, not 60 and it was the fourth lifeboat to be lowered away from the starboard side. Orders were given to Lookout George Thomas Macdonald Symons (1888-1950) stand by and return if called.
Next...your comment about "significant lack of knowledge" You are correct both Smith and Murdoch had experience with Olympic..but that was it for all 9 officers. The ship was huge and for 80% of the naval officers were unfamiliar with the ship. It takes flight crews about 30 hours of flight time in "Class & Type" to truly know their aircraft and its limitations/idiosyncrasies. Not even the ONE day of sea trials had all officers and crew on board. There was a lot of pressure and a rush to get this ship prepared for the April sailing date that was delayed due to the coal strike.
Chief officer Henry Tingle Wilde (1872-1912) served as Olympic’s chief officer since July 1911 too, replacing Joseph Evans. So that makes that 3 of the eight (captain Smith included) had experience with the Olympic class liners before, this is 37.5%. You seem to give the impression the officers were assigned to the ship on sailing day, while this isn’t the case.

Then chief officer Murdoch, first officer Lightoller and second officer Blair joined the Titanic in Belfast on the 24th of March 1912. With the junior officers (third officer Pitman, fourth officer Boxhall, fifth officer Lowe and sixth officer Moody) reporting on the 27th that same month. They not only were all on-board during the final stages of the fitting out, where they took the time to explore the ship, but also her sea trails and delivery voyage. And as my good friend Arun explained, there were 7 officers (captain Smith not included in that figure), not 9.
There was a lot of pressure and a rush to get this ship prepared for the April sailing date that was delayed due to the coal strike.
The only rush there was with the fitting out process, as the Titanic left unfinished in some areas. I could list a few example’s if you like of that but the ship was fully operational in terms of being able to sail.
Concerning the ships telegraph and whether it was put into reverse or not...no one for sure will know. How many officers knew that when the engines were reversed that that it shut down the center prop behind the rudder? The center turbine prop was designed only to be used in open ocean.
The only witness of the surviving crewmembers on duty that stated a full astern was given was fourth officer Boxhall while we have not one, not two, not three but four accounts from on duty engine crew that state that the engines were stopped. These being Leading fireman Frederick William Barrett (1883-1931). Trimmer Thomas Patrick Dillon (1879-1939), Greaser Frederick William Scott (1884-1915) and Greaser Thomas Ranger (1882-1964). Dillon and Scott were in the reciprocating engine room and Ranger saw the stop valves of the turbine engine being activated.
Evidence that Captain Smith went into shock...come on, now...his entire decision making processes was terrible. Speaking as a captain, he did not demonstrate critical decision making under pressure, and simply gave vague orders to senior officers, and allowed them to disseminate to implement....this is how come one side of the ship was women and children only (into the lifeboats) and the other side was women and children first...then men. Smith was simply overwhelmed by his inability to think clearly and critically can only be deduced that he was in a state of shock. 62 years old in 1912 was like being 88 today. don't take me literally...you know what I mean. I hate Cameron's make believe Titanic film but I think they got Smith close to how he must have been in those critical 2 hrs 40 mins. Are we OK on this point...or are you still saying he just made some poor decisions?
There we go again with the claim captain Smith was in daze. If you follow his movements during the sinking this myth can be dismissed and the 1997 movie is wrong with it’s defective and inactive portrayal of captain Smith. I would gladly give examples if you like but he was fairly active during the sinking. As I said a handful of times, there is no shred of evidence that captain Smith had cognitive problems at his age either.
Your technical knowledge of the loading of every specific life boats is greater than mine, as this has not been a focus of my research, but I can see how most passengers would not want to get into a small wooden boat in the middle of the Atlantic at night. However, had there been a life boat drill 12 hours earlier that Sunday many more lives may have been saved. Also, there are many options to how the crew could have found passengers to load into those boats be it men, women, children or dogs! There was absolutely a disregard for the steerage passengers who were kept behind locked gates until shortly before foundering. We know this by the few steerage passengers who did survive all from the bow of the ship whose cabins floors flooded within 20 mins of striking the berg. (research Addergoole 14...only 3 survived...they provide an excellent glimpse into the reality for how steerage passengers were treated.
Most media depicts the locking behind gates wrongly compared to what really happened, in real life third class passengers were prohibited to enter on the second class promenade on B-deck, and were kept on the aft well deck where the waist high gates were guarded by crewmembers (either stewards or seamen). There were more factors that played a role in the large death toll of 528 third class passengers.

I hope this offers a bit more insight.

Kind regards,

Thomas

Captain Lords actions were criminal in the disappearance of scratch log. (I believe his first officer threw it overboard)
In that case, Captain Lord's colluding First Officer of the Californian must have thrown himself overboard after the scratch log, perhaps in remorse. No wonder they found no First Officer on board when the ship when it reached America.

In that case, Captain Lord's colluding First Officer of the Californian must have thrown himself overboard after the scratch log, perhaps in remorse. No wonder they found no First Officer on board when the ship when it reached America.
Geez...Arun, your a piece of work.. You know...hard data doesn't tell you everything...you got to look beyond and get the big picture.

Your snarky response was based on semantics. I believe there was criminal collusion between Lord and "certain" officer(s) loyal to him.
Was it George Stewart, Herbert Stone (this is who I think colluded with Lord) or, Charles Grove?
I feel confident apprentice James Gibson was not privy to the underhanded actions taken.
The fact that the title/rank I used doesn't match perfectly with my nomenclature is NOT the point!
You remind me of someone pointing their finger at the moon....and looking their finger!

I shall respond to the rest of your comments in the next response.
By the way, I have been on holiday and not in front of any of my data or materials
All my writings have been from on the road and hotels while traveling.

Moderator's hat

Comments like "your [sic] a piece of work," descriptions of messages as "snarky" and whatever that comment about the moon means, have no place here. Desist.

Moderator's hat off.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by the "first lifeboat" but since you mentioned that it could hold up to 60 people, you could only be referring to the standard wooden lifeboats. The first lifeboat launched, Lifeboat #7, was one such but it had 25 people, not 12. Lifeboat #1 per se was an already swung out emergency cutter and could hold up to 40 people and was the fifth or sixth overall to reach the water. It is true that it had only 12 people on board when lowered, but we have already been though the reasons why that happened a few times and so I see no point in going through that again.

Smith pocketed just one - but vital - iceberg warning from another WSL ship, the Baltic. Yes, his handling of that important message was very questionable and theoretically at least might have helped to avoid the accident had Smith given it more importance.

The last time I checked, the Titanic had Captain Smith and 7 Officers. Perhaps 2 more had stowed away?

That might be your opinion but it does not mean it was the truth.

That myth about the steerage passengers being "kept behind locked gates" has been propagated by most Titanic films for dramatic effect. Again, that point has been discussed several times in the past in these forums. There were some gates that were kept locked during normal voyage because it was standard practice in those days to keep the Third Class passengers away from the 'higher' sections. It was just that in the confusion that occurred after the accident, most of those gates were not unlocked and it is possible that some passengers congregated behind them in the mistaken belief that it was their only way up to the boat deck. While the routes that the Third Class passengers had to take to reach the upper decks were long and convoluted, they were there. In fact, the very first Third Class passenger to survive, Fahim al-Zainni, was a single male traveller and so almost certainly berthed in the bow section. He managed to sneak into Lifeboat #6.

Many people, including me, agree that as far as his own ship the Californian, was concerned, Captain Stanley Lord was excellent with his decisions. When he considered that it was unsafe to proceed through the ice, he stopped his ship for the night, but the routine watches were very much still in place. Having done that, Lord was just dozing in full uniform in the chart room and NOT asleep in his pajamas in his cabin like depicted in the 1958 film ANTR. That does not sound very much like "complete dereliction of duty".

As for his being "drunk, intoxicated and asleep" in his cabin, the less said about such a comment the better.
Arun,

OK...so, lets take your counter points one by one, shall we.

I believe in the previous response I told you you may have a better knowledge of exactly who was in which boat as it left the ship, as that area has never been my expertise...other than Collapsible A & B...as those survivors in my personal opinion were critical to reporting the facts of what their experiences were that night...Lightoller, Bride, Gracie etc. The 12 passenger...actually 13 passengers I was making mention of...is Boat # 1
Again you seem to miss the point entirely when I say the loading of the lifeboats was haphazard, and not well organized.

How else could only 13 people could have been lowered...most of which were crew! So, lets count the passengers on board Lifeboat # 1
Lord & Lady Duff Gordon, Miss Francatelli, Lady Duff's secretary & 2 gentlemen Stengal & Soloman, That's 5 passengers...AND 8 crew! All this overseen by officer Murdoch and Lowe...all this in a boat that holds 40 (Rescue Cutter) And you have the gall to tell me there was no haphazard loading, badly organized. Both the American Inquiry and the BBoT reports specifically make mention of this fact!

Marconigrams
Yes, you are correct Capt. Smith only pocketed 1 ice warning...I was again painting the big picture of the continual series of events that result in the collision...there are about 25 different things that occurred that evening that if handled correctly would have changed the outcome that night.

The point in my response was that the ineffective inconsistent way the ice berg warnings came through Philips and Bride...they were not systematically posted and reported in the chart room like they should have as soon as the first ice warning was received Different officers handled the message each received inconsistently. Had the ice messages have all been all posted there...I am sure officer on watch would have made recommendation to steer south or slow down.

Officers
I wrote incorrectly. Yes, there was Capt. Smith and 7 officers. (not 9)
Decided to promote two of the Quartermaster's to officer status.
That matches the tone of your response about the stowaways :)

Not quite sure what exact reference you mean when you state "That might be your opinion but it does not mean it was the truth."
All of what I have shared on this platform is "my opinion"..I have never attempted to say that my comments were all pure facts.
I attempt to present facts as determined by what is known and accepted...but this tragedy had so much that cannot be 100% verified that extrapolation is required especially in the areas that I have written about.

The myth of Steerage passengers held back that you so freely state...did not occur...did occur...in certain locations. Again it is semantics.
You say it was simply that 3rd lass didn't know how to access the correct location and series of stairwells to get from their deck to the upper decks where the lifeboats were being lowered. I believe 3rd class was not given any priority, and that the focus was on 1st and 2nd class until well into the timeline. The crew in charge of 3rd class do not seem to have been been well managed/supervised which is strange considering there were about 250 stewards on board Titanic. I am sure you will clarify for me exactly how many stewards there were on board....go on break down title if you wish, and exactly how many were assigned to 3rd class. Bottom line although the surviving numbers of 3rd class don't look so bad..on percentage basis it tells a different story. One has to understand the Victorian class structure on board this little piece of England, to be able to accept that steerage was treated as 3rd class passengers when it came down to life and death.

To end this rebuttal to your comments...I am astounded at your comment
"Many people, including me, agree that as far as his own ship the Californian, was concerned, Captain Stanley Lord was excellent with his decisions." Holy Toledo....I completely disagree with you. You are a Lordite if ever there was one! Both Inquires found Lord of failing to come to the assistance of a ship in distress. He failed to allow his ship & crew to respond to the white rockets. He failed to wake up the Marconi operator. Lord hid behind his "do nothing" actions...next, your tell me that the Californian was not 10-19 miles away from Titanic...and that it was really the illegal whaler Sampson.

Lord made a decision to stop when he was surrounded by pack ice...that is not rocket science! and in my opinion doesn't not qualify as a good decision...and if so, was the only one he made that night!

When you look at what occurred on board the Californian that evening... and exactly how Lord was contacted and responded and his total and complete lack of action...like get the hell up and take a look yourself at the rockets, or wake up the Marconi operator...tells me that he was not using sound judgement...now what causes unsound judgement...based on the complete lack of any logical action by Lord, I can only come to the conclusion that he was somewhat incapacitated and the most logical explanation would be liquor...this accounts for his interactions with the crew on watch that left the crew scratching their heads. Again, I am posing my theory for this captains complete lack of action to determine and quantity the nature of the information he was presented with, and could not even drag himself (dressed) out of bed/watch room. I have read his testimony before the US Inquiry and BBoT and I believe he lied. So did the Leyland Line when they dismissed him in August of 1912.

Thank God...Arun, you are entitled to your own opinion but don't go around telling me "the less said" about Lord being incapacitated to demonstrate command "the better".

Please attempt to refrain from any further factual clarification from your point of view on this thread.

Kind regards,

Frederick

Back