TITANIC’S CENTRE PROPELLER: THE STEPHEN PIGOTT EVIDENCE

Encyclopedia Titanica

Philip Hind
Staff member
mc_propeller2_FP2.jpg

Newly found evidence documents changes to Titanics propeller configuration... Titanica! Mon, 26 Oct 2020

Yes Indeed a very good bit of research work of the centre propeller. Which was covered practical word for word in the summer 2020 British Titanic Society Atlantic Daily Bulletin. I am now thinking of all those Titanic models out there with a four bladed propeller having to change them!
One slight correction Olympic was the second ship to be fitted with this combination? Yes for White Star Line, but the Otaki ship built by by William Denny and Brother for New Zealand shipping company in 1908 was the first commercial ship to use this combination, and was successful to. But never a less the article was full of good information and well done Mark.

Thanks for your very kind comments. I'm pleased the article was of interest.

Mike, the section of the article you allude to is simply looking at Harland & Wolff's completed ships with combination machinery, for both White Star and other owners. Ships built by other builders were excluded from the analysis.

Best wishes

Thanks for your very kind comments. I'm pleased the article was of interest.

Mike, the section of the article you allude to is simply looking at Harland & Wolff's completed ships with combination machinery, for both White Star and other owners. Ships built by other builders were excluded from the analysis.

Best wishes
Point taken Mark. Thanks again for the good work.

Hi Mark,
Whilst on the subject of propellers. Can you give me a reason why H&W did not fit the propellers when on the slipway?
Or was the general practice of H&W not to so.

View attachment 72832
Newly found evidence documents changes to Titanics propeller configuration... Titanica! Mon, 26 Oct 2020
Something interesting, the 1997 movie shows a Four bladed prop. Although, this isn’t their fault, since the movie is based on what evidence they had at the time.

wasn’t Olympic fitted with a three bladed propeller in 1913?

My understanding is that the Olympic retained a four bladed center propeller throughout her entire service life. These things were rather expensive to produce so they weren't just casually thrown away unless there was something massively wrong with them.

The question should be put to all those who claim that Titanic had a 4-laded center prop to show on what historical basis does such a claim depend on.
Because both her sister ships had 4 bladed center props? Not disputing Mr. Chirnside's work on this. He's done excellent research on the subject and knows way more about it than me and most others. But until a definitive photo is found the only way to be sure is for someone to go clean out the mud and look or possibly use a mud (ground) penetrating radar. Both expensive endeavors.

I to do not question Marks research on the three centre bladed propeller for Titanic. But I do find it rather odd they have gone from four to three bladed propeller. As in the case of Lusitania and Mauretania started of with three bladed propellers.
Mauretania in 1908 changed to four bladed propeller with improve speed performance followed by Lusitania in1909 changed to a four bladed propellers as well. Especially when the changes have taken place before Olympic and Titanic are even built.
I can not find what was fitted on the Laurentic ship centre propeller for blades. I can only think if a three bladed propeller was on the ship in direct line of the rudder was considered a better idea. However new technology never stand still and so why not try a four bladed propeller against a three bladed propeller?

Back