Titanic's Power Sockets

Here is a photo of plug sockets in one of the staterooms. Not sure about the buttons beside the door. One of them might be a plug socket.

plugs1.png

plugs.png

Bruce Beveridge's book, vol. 1, p. 385, has a photo of the type of electric panel shown on the right-hand side of the door. He identifies it as a stateroom light switch and call panel. The top device is an electric outlet (receptacle). The other devices are light switches and a call button for the cabin steward. From the appointments shown in your photo, this would be a first-class stateroom.

Looking again at your posted photograph, it seems to be very professionally done. The contrast, sharpness, etc., are excellent. I assume that the photo was taken for marketing purposes.

The electrical “convenience” outlets found on the Titanic were used for table/Gimbal lamps, portable fans, and bed warmers in the first class staterooms and suites at 100vdc. They may also have been found elsewhere on the ship, such as in the kitchen, for the brand new electrical appliances such as meat slicers, peelers, and food processing type devices that were in use there. They were of the pre-BS 73 type, the “standard” 5A 2 round pin that were used in Britain (at 220-240v) at the time.

Attachments

• 218ADEA0-5C66-41EE-A557-17BEEA9FCD71.jpeg
    218ADEA0-5C66-41EE-A557-17BEEA9FCD71.jpeg
    20.6 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
I was going to start a new thread but this one provides some background. In use now are Type A & B plugs in the United States and Type G plugs in the Uk. It appears the Type A plug dates from 1904 and the B (with the earth or ground prong) would be subsequent to then. It seems that the Type B plugs were uncommon in the 1970s and only commonplace the last several decades, but that’s childhood recollections. The Type G plug came about in 1947, replacing the Type D plug in the UK:

I believe early on Type A plugs screwed into light sockets if a plug was needed and I seem to recall that in a great aunt’s house in Rhode Island as a child.

So, what is current now in the UK is not applicable. The two prong plug in the post above is what appears was used on the Titanic. But was that it? Were the Type A plugs also available? Or, in 1912, what was in use in the United States and the UK? Was it like that in the previous post or was that strictly for nautical construction?

Also, thinking in modern terms, multiple outlet types may be necessary for passengers and their hair curlers, electric razors, etc, but such portable electrical devices were probably not available in 1912, I am guessing? (A tangent—what electrical outlet types are on modern cruise ships?)

The other thing lacking are wall outlets in corridors and public areas, or at least I don’t see them. How was vacuuming or hovering done, as the electric vacuum cleaner predates the Titanic.

Here’s some history about early electrical sockets in the United States:

And about vacuum cleaners/Hoovers:

I was going to start a new thread but this one provides some background. In use now are Type A & B plugs in the United States and Type G plugs in the Uk. It appears the Type A plug dates from 1904 and the B (with the earth or ground prong) would be subsequent to then. It seems that the Type B plugs were uncommon in the 1970s and only commonplace the last several decades, but that’s childhood recollections. The Type G plug came about in 1947, replacing the Type D plug in the UK:

I believe early on Type A plugs screwed into light sockets if a plug was needed and I seem to recall that in a great aunt’s house in Rhode Island as a child.

So, what is current now in the UK is not applicable. The two prong plug in the post above is what appears was used on the Titanic. But was that it? Were the Type A plugs also available? Or, in 1912, what was in use in the United States and the UK? Was it like that in the previous post or was that strictly for nautical construction?

Also, thinking in modern terms, multiple outlet types may be necessary for passengers and their hair curlers, electric razors, etc, but such portable electrical devices were probably not available in 1912, I am guessing? (A tangent—what electrical outlet types are on modern cruise ships?)

The other thing lacking are wall outlets in corridors and public areas, or at least I don’t see them. How was vacuuming or hovering done, as the electric vacuum cleaner predates the Titanic.

Here’s some history about early electrical sockets in the United States:

And about vacuum cleaners/Hoovers:

Being a retired journeyman electrician and instrument technician I found your post interesting. Thanks for the links. Liked reading them. Receptacles vary widely. Not just thru time or from country to country but also thru amperage. I have an equipment bag full of all kinds of different ones and adapters. The older A type plugs had both. Hard wired in and the screw in type plugs like in your Aunt's house. I have a couple of those in my tool bag. Still convenient to use when there's no outside receptical but there is a porch light to use for temp power for your tools. Titanic had 2 prong recpt's and was a DC system. I'm not sure how they wired things in those days for portable equipt. I guessing the return (neg wire) was bonded to the case of the equiptment to provide a path for current in case the positive came into contact with it. Or they just relied on the insulation. But your right about the 2 prong no ground recpticals being common well into the 70's. I find a lot of them in older homes. Even once in a while still run across old knob and tube wiring. Anyway thanks again for the links. Cheers.
P.S...In my travels around Europe I found that most of the newer hotels have 110 volt recpt's in the bathrooms along with the 220 plugs they use. Many of the older hotels dont have that but they usually have adapters so you can charge your up your laptops/phones/cameras...ect. Not difficult to do a work around.

Last edited:
Back