Titanic's rivets

hi, i'm wondering how many rivets were on the titanic, i would really like to know how many there were on the port side and starboard side and any where else.

About three million. I don't think anybody has counted down to the last rivet head how many there were on a given side but if you split the difference, I doubt you'ed go too far wrong.

Sorry, I'm so late in posting here for this question.

There were 3,0850,000, divided all over the ship. Not all were the same dimension or the same spec. Different areas had different specifications.

...and to think RMSTI roughly retrieved only about 30 for the composition test of slag. BTW, I had the opportunity to see a large one on display at the Tropicana in Las Vegas, along with L-brackets and other various pieces of steel.

Mike Cundiff
NV, USA

Yes, only 30! Not all had too much slag either. Most likely those were rivets with different specifications from the ones used on the super structure.

This is what the New York Times quoted from me in April this year.

The same rivets are installed on SS Nomadic and they look good.

Roy Cullimore (RMSTI forensic expedition member) made a statement that of the 30 retrieved, some had high contents of slag.

I feel it all had to do with cost cuts, yet on the other hand you have R.M.S. OLYMPIC, and as James pointed out NOMADIC.

Mike Cundiff
NV, USA

The ones with higher slag would be in places that do not need such a high strength.

Some people do not realize that it is the specification which decides what strength of material is required for different areas.

"Are they any good." You don't know anyone who has worked in Harland & Wolff, do you?

Ask David!

Mike,

The Thompson Dry Dock are riveted with the same material as Olympic, Titanic and Nomadic.

nomadicrivets1.jpg

>>Doesn't matter if they "look good." The point is, are they any good?<<

Good enough that they're still there after nearly a century, most of that in the water. The rivets on the Titanic are good enough that most of them remained right where the riveters put them even after a 30+ knot collision with the ocean's bottom.

There's a lot of sound and fury over the materials that the ship was built of which may not be entirely misplaced in some instances. The problem with all of that is that it's over-rated. Absent the interaction with an iceberg, and through hull damage along the ship's length which no vessel could survive, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

The original poster said "they looked good." "Looking" is irrelevant, its the quality that counts. If the original poster has said "they are still good" then great, but an opinion of aesthetic attractiveness is irrelevant.

>>its the quality that counts.<<

And I've addressed that issue. The rivets are good enough on the Nomadic to have survived this long. The rivets on the Titanic were good enough that they survived anything except human fallibility, and the vast majority of them survived even that.

Back