Tune Madeleine And Astor

How about Madeline Astor with ribbons in her hair? How about Molly Brown doing a hot tango with that creepy guy? How about that silly non-romance between Beesley and that prissy lady teacher? How about the fact that this whole movie was truly awful?

Well now Sharon- that's your opinion. It happens to be a favorite of mine. It had the best Irish, the best Ismay, the best Smith, the best Margaret Brown (the real Molly didn't talk like a hick- note to Kathy Bates). I prefer it to ANTR.

The best Ismay was David Garrison in the musical Titanic--he really nailed J Bruce Ismay to a T! Remember Hollywood and Broadway takes alot of liberties in trying to dazzle us, not to mention snag alot of Oscar nominations.

>the best Margaret Brown (the real Molly didn't talk like a hick- note to Kathy Bates).

Mike, I must respectfully disagree with you and hope, with all that I hold holy, that you will not hold it against me as you did the time I bought the last pound of cheddar for myself, rather than buying a half pound for myself and leaving half a pound for you, and we did not speak to one another for close to seven years afterwards.

Was not Margaret Brown born poor and in the midwest? I felt that Kathy Bates' accent or, rather, inflection, probably came close to what Mrs. Brown's would have sounded like. The trouble with Mrs Brown, on film, is that actresses tend to endow her 'so full of life' that she comes across like someone who needs to be put somewhere 'quiet' for time, for her own good of course. In a film full of hammy performances, it was a surprise to see Mrs Brown underplayed (by Bates) for once. I thought that Ms Leachman's Margaret Brown was an irrepressible soul who called out, nay begged, to be repressed.

Dave Garrison (aka Steve Rhodes on Married with Children) was a bit showy. Ian Holm by far showed the most subdued emotion.

Jim- need we tell the readers of ET about a boy who was so desperate for friends he did everyone's homework for them...

Margaret, in Cameron's flick, was too country and you could see why she was avoided like the plague. 'That dreadful Brown woman!' Leachman's Brown was colorful, and amused her friend's the way it happened in real life. Yes, she had some silly sequences, but her friendships with Emma and the Astors rang true due to her performance.

Gustavo,

I believe it is this piece:

I'M FALLING IN LOVE WITH SOMEONE
From "Naughty Marietta"
(Victor Herbert / Rida Johnson Young)

Hope this helps! Check out my other thread about the "Connemara Waltz"! Any input is welcome on leads with that one!
happy.gif

Back