Hi!

No one really knows which room Violet Jessop was in. She never revealed it in her interviews. Stewardesses did not occupy numbered cabins. On the various decks there were special rooms for stewardesses. They were marked "stewardess" on the deck plans.

Although no one knows for sure, Violet Jessop was probably on E deck, in the stewardess room next to the elevator hall, oposite cabin E20.

Hope this helps.

Daniel.

Hi!

As I said "although no one knows for sure, Violet Jessop was probably on E deck"

Miss Jessop does not mention names at all in her account, well when she does they are only names she made up for the people she was talking about. Her account is rather confusing, but it is still interesting.

She frequently mentions the staircase. She mentions "youngsters" in a cabin accross to hers, and she mentions putting a lifebelt on a child, who might be Douglas Spedden, but this of corse is not for sure.

She sais she went up on deck, so I presume she was definitely not on A deck. E deck is a likely possibility for her cabin.

Daniel.

Hello, I had a question regarding Violet Jessop, who is she? was she a passenger on the Titanic? Can someone tell me? thanks. Belle

Violet Jessop was a stewardess. She survived the Titanic...and also the Brittanic when that ship had the misfortune to park on a mine and sink.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

There is a book called Titanic Survivor, which consists of her memoirs, plus a commentary. I suggest you read it for interest but I wouldn't spend cash on it. For some reason she uses false names for nearly everybody involved and the book adds little to what we know.

I agree with what Dave said and I just wanted to say that I bought a copy at Barnes and Noble for $6 whereas other places I have seen it have been $16 and up.

I first heard about Violet Jessop one evening on a program on the Discovery Channel. When I learned that she published memoirs of her survival on the Titanic and her sister ships, Brittanic and Olympic, I rushed to buy it. Although, as Dave says, it uses fake names and is a very limited account, the book is quite interesting.

Violet Jessop survived the well-known Titanic disaster. Then she served aboard the Brittanic, which became a hospital ship in WWI. Brittanic suffered the same fate as her sister ship when she struck a mine. I can't recall what exactly happened with the Olympic, but I believe she also sank. Violet Jessop served as a stewardess until she was about 60 or 70. Then she finished her years in her home of England.

Hope I answered some questions for you.

ADRIANNE

Actually, Adrianne, with all due respect, the Olympic did not sink. She went on to serve in WWI as a troop transport, and then made the trans-Atlantic run untill 1935, when she was scrapped.

-Dean

Adrianne, as Dean pointed out, the RMS Olympic didn't sink. in fact during World War One, she earned a destinction in being the only merchent vessel to sink an enemy warship when a lookout spotted a german U boat on the surface on the morning of 18 May 1918. They were too close to train down the auxilary six inch guns fitted for self defence so the Olympic turned in on the sub and rammed it.

During that war, she was one of four ships being used as troopships. After the war, the Olympic was overhauled and refitted for passanger service in which she served until being retired in 1935 and sold for scrap. Far from being an unlucky ship, she was much loved by passangers and was nicknamed Old Reliable

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Thank you, Dean and Michael. You're right. I wasn't quite sure about the Olympic.

Violet Jessop did serve aboard the Olympic, though, didn't she?

Best Regards,
ADRIANNE

Adrianne, I'm not certain if Miss Jessop served on the Olympic, however, her career with White Star was a long one, so I wouldn't be surprised if she did.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Adrianne, Michael,

Violet Jessop did indeed serve aboard the Olympic. I'm not sure of the exact dates, but I can tell you she was on Olympic when she was rammed by the HMS Hawke just off the Isle of Wight; which implies that she served on Olympic first.

-Dean

Back