Wallace Henry Hartley

This man inspires courage in the face of tragedy, he led his band to carry on. I feel as a Hartley to follow his example ,he was remarkable and I am proud that he was a Hartley..

Please note the watch shown here and labled as "Wallace Hartley's Dressing Watch" is in fact only a memorial watch, created many years later. It did not belong to Wallace Hartley or any member of the Hartley family. It has no link to WH at all. Nigel Hampson Curator Titanic In Lancashire Museum

I am also a Hartley. Happen to be watching a documentary on the titanic and happen to catch the name Wallace Hartley..I am as well proud to be a Hartley...Kin or not.He had great courage till the end,He will always be in my heart from this day on as well as all the rest in peace!!

It is good to see Wallace Hartley remembered still 105 years after his death. I am related through my mother who was Mary Hartley, born of William Hartley (Married to Janet). I presume the watch stopped after immersion in the freezing water at the time he entered the water at 02.20 am on the 15th April, 1912?

Back