Warwick auction 10th July 2002

Afternoon,

Colin Such from Warwick & Warwick Ltd (auctioners) has granted permission for me to post the following. Some items are mentioned on the Sotheby's Marine Sales thread.

On 10th July 2002, there was a sale containing a large section of Titanic related items (all figures include 15% buyer's premium):

Lots 1-8: Ismay family archive material. Lot 6 was a White Star Line spring-loaded cigarette dispenser in the shape of a Moet and Chandon champagne bottle (£86); Lot 7 was a miscellaneous range of Ismay family and WSL ephemera, with a pre-sale estimate of £100. Bidding finally stopped at £604.

An archive of Marconi Telegraph messages, received on board the RMS Olympic concerning the sinking of the Titanic, attracted less interest. However, a signal received at 11pm on April 14 from the Titanic, including "We have struck an iceberg", made £2,530 and a second signal at 11.40pm, "Tell the captain we are putting the passengers in small boats" also made £2,530.

A 10-page legal deposition by Third Officer Herbert Pitman, for use in the Board of Trade Inquiry, realised £862.

Lot 41: Collyer family archive. Harvey and Charlotte Collyer were emigrating to America with their 8-year old daughter Marjorie. Harvey was drowned along with their life savings in his pocket. Includes a letter from survivor Charlotte Collyer to her mother from Southampton and a second letter, mailed from New York after the disaster. The archive had a pre-sale estimate of £6,000 and realised £5,175. In later years, Harold Lowe corrsponded with Marjorie Collyer and his two letters to her made £471 and £414.

A presentation copy of the rare book "The Ismay Line" by W.J. Oldham (1961) was knocked down at £172, the high price accounted for perhaps the manuscript alterations made by Mrs Charles Bower Ismay.

Pre sinking real photographic postcards of the Titanic are rare and several excellent results were recorded. A close-up of the anchor made £368, a card depicting two Titanic lifeboats approaching the Carpathia made £414 and a superb close-up of a lifeboat alongside the Carpathia made £299.

Warwick & Warwick will be holding a Titanic and White Star Line public auction on Friday 11th October in conjunction with the Titanic 2002 Convention, at the Moat House Hotel, Stratford-on-Avon. E-mail [email protected] for information.

Cheers,

Boz

Hi Iain,
I managed to purchase two items from the Auction,
I got a marconigram sent from the vice president of the wSL asking the Olympic for Titanic Position, And a handwritten Manuscript from the Olympic to New York telling them the Titanic Sank and descibing the devistation, And that Carpathia was returning to New York With 675 Souls.
Thats quit a moving piece.
Cheers.
Steve

Congats Steve! Sounds like some great articles!
Regards, Steve Santini.
P.S. Lately, we here at Titanic Concepts Inc. have also acquired some rather rare items. If I only knew where to post pictures, I would galdly let everyone have a look...

Hi Steve,
Its good to hear from you again!!.
When i get chance i will email you a scan of the Warwick & Warwick lots, Also the On Board Titanic letter card i purchased from Christies last month.
Do not forget to let me know what items you own at the Ship of dreams Exhibition In Florida. Have you seen the debate regarding the Ship of Dreams exhibition thats been going on for the last few days!!, Take a look at the message board.
Cheers,
Steve

Back