Was Bruce Ismay present on the Bridge?

We all know that after the collision, Capt. Smith rushed into the bridge of Titanic. Present were the 1st Officer Murdoch, the quartermaster Hitchens and the 6th Officer Moody.
A few moments later, Thomas Andrews entered the bridge and together with Smith went down to have a personal knowledge for the extent of damage. Soon they returned to the bridge where Andrews, after making some calculations, declared to Smith that Titanic was going to sink in a couple of hours. If the above serie of events is correct, my question is :
Is there any evidence that B.Ismay was present in the course of the above events ? If he was present, was he before or after the arrival of Andrews ?

Theodore Moraitis wrote:

>A few moments later, Thomas Andrews entered the >bridge and together with
>Smith went down to have a personal knowledge for >the extent of damage.
>Soon they returned to the bridge where Andrews, >after making some
>calculations, declared to Smith that Titanic was >going to sink in a
>couple of hours.

Hi, Theodore!

To the best of my knowledge there is no evidence to document the statement that Thomas Andrews came to the bridge to consult with Captain Smith. Instead, Smith seems to have eventually gone below in search of Andrews (although not immediately after the collision.)

All my best,

George

Hi George
Let me tell you how glad I am in seeing that a very known Titanic enthousiast replied my question. The fact remains that Smith most probably learned from Andrews that Titanic was doomed and I trust you agree. But how about Ismay ? Was he present during the two men's meeting ? If my recollection is correct, in W.Lord's movie, Ismay was present. What do you think ?
All my best
Theodore

I read somewhere that Ismay DID make an appearance on the bridge! Shortly after the accident, he walked onto the bridge in his pajamas and slippers, just like it was shown in 'Titanic' and 'A night to remember'.

I also heard that he discussed the incident with Captain Smith, but it would seem that the conversation is permanently lost to history...

Hi Ben,
I agree with you that the conversation is permanently lost to history. Ismay, in his testimony declared that he was not aware or informed by Capt.Smith that Titanic was going to sink however, if he was present when Andrews informed that she is going down, then Ismay's statement before the American Inquiry was not true. This is what I am trying to learn but it seems that he is the only one who knew what happened.....

Theodore Moraitis wrote:

>The fact remains that Smith most
>probably learned from Andrews that Titanic was >doomed and I trust you
>agree.

Hi, Theodore!

Thanks very much for your kind words. Yes, I agree with your above statement -- I just think the evidence shows that Smith and Andrews conferred together sometime after Smith instructed the wireless operators to send out the original CQD.

>But how about Ismay ? Was he present during the >two men's meeting?

Not to the best of my knowledge. Smith and Andrews were seen conferring together below decks, but Ismay was apparently not on the scene when Andrews told Smith that the ship was doomed.

>If my recollection is correct, in W.Lord's movie, >Ismay was present. What do you think ?

I think the filmmakers probably included Ismay in the scene for dramatic effect.

Hope this will be helpful. Take care, old chap.

All my best,

George

Hi, Theodore!

I should probably modify my original statement a bit. I wrote:

>To the best of my knowledge there is no evidence >to document the
>statement that Thomas Andrews came to the bridge >to consult with Captain
>Smith. Instead, Smith seems to have eventually >gone below in search of
>Andrews (although not immediately after the >collision.)

I also wrote:

>Smith and Andrews were seen conferring
>together below decks, but Ismay was apparently >not on the scene when
>Andrews told Smith that the ship was doomed.

After Smith and Andrews conferred together, Smith was seen to ascend the stairway while Andrews continued his inspection below decks. Shortly thereafter Andrews was seen rushing up the stairway toward the upper decks; I've always felt that Andrews was on his way up to tell Captain Smith how much worse the damage was than he originally believed. Although it's quite possible that Andrews was headed for the bridge at this point, there does not seem to be any documentation to prove the point one way or the other.

All my best,

George

One more modification. I wrote:

> I just think the evidence shows that Smith and >Andrews conferred
>together sometime after Smith instructed the >wireless operators to send
>out the original CQD.

That should read "*shortly before* Smith instructed the wireless operators to send out the original CQD."

(That's what happens when I hurry.) :)

All my best,

George

Hello everyone,
I read somewhere that Andrews did not even feel the bump with the iceberg. How soon after, and how did he find out that something had happened? Did he go to investigate, or did a steward come to his cabin?
Sincerely,
Elaine and Emily

Thank you so much Ceorge for your efforts and time spent.
I have no reasons to doubt your advice that "shortly before" Smith instructed the wireless operators to send the CQD, Ismay discussed with Andrews. Certainly he was told that his ship was going to sink. Therefore, Ismay's testimony was not correct and his statement that he was never informed by anyone that Titanic was sinking, was made on purpose.
I'm presently making a study for Ismay and Capt Smith and your help sofar is much appreciated.
All my best
Theodore

To Elaine and Emily
Andrews knew the Titanic more than anyone else so Capt Smith thought he was the best one to consult as far as the extent of damage was concerned.
Obviously, he sent a steward to Andrew's cabin to
ask him to go up to the bridge immediately.

hello everyone,

im new here so hope this info from a book would help.

it reads:

"After he(referring to Andrews) and Smith had inspected the forward compartments, they returned to the bridge. there andrews informed the captain, in company with White Star's Managing Director Bruce Ismay, that there was not the remotest chance that the ship could remain afloat"

hopefully this would help. if not hope it would clear out something.

thnx

Dear Theodore Moraitis,

You asked the question, was Bruce Ismay present before or after the arrival of Andrews?

You can find the answer to this question in Bill Barnes book entitled, "Thomas Andrews, Voyage Into History. Titanic secrets revealed through the eyes of her builder." It is written on page 127 of his book.

From Teri Milch
http://www.bruceismay.com

The above response is an example of why I have an aversion to the reincarnation threads. Note that it is stated that "you can find the answer"--without any disclaimer identifying that the supposed answer flows from the supposed knowledge of someone supposedly reincarnated from Thomas Andrews.

Back