News What deep sea exploration means to the man who discovered the sunken remains of the Titanic

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Dr. Robert Ballard is a renowned deep-sea explorer. You probably know him best as the person who found the remains of the RMS Titanic in 1985. Throughout his career and over more than 160 deep-sea explorations, he’s gained even more lifetime achievements — from the development of deep-sea submersibles to the discovery of hydrothermal vents.

I hate to burst your bubble but Ballard DID NOT discover the Titanic, Jean-Louis Michel of IFREMER and his group were the people that discovered the Titanic. Ballard discusses this fact in his book, "The Discovery of the Titanic" on pages 80-83 in the paperback edition. It seems to me that Michel and his crew that actually discovered the got screwed and that Ballard needed to be much more vocal about clearing up this error. As you can see, 37 years after Titanic was discovered the misinformation about who really discovered the ship is still prevalent.

I hate to burst your bubble but Ballard DID NOT discover the Titanic, Jean-Louis Michel of IFREMER and his group were the people that discovered the Titanic.
Well I didn't write the article and try telling that to the masses. It is well known that Ballard was the co-leader of the expedition, along with Jean-Louis Michel. Ballard has acknowledged Michel's involvement in the discovery of the wreck:

"We had done the watch change that night, and I went back to my cabin. The chief scientist’s quarters are up high, next to the captain’s. I couldn’t sleep, so I was reading Chuck Yeager’s autobiography. My father had flown with Yeager as a test flight engineer during the war. Now it’s 2:00 a.m., and nobody should be coming up. Suddenly there’s a knock on the door, and it’s the cook. The cook? He says the guys think I need to come down.

They didn’t do this for nothing. I knew something had happened, so I flew out of my bunk and blew past him. It took me about four seconds to slide down six banisters of stairs. Initially, they were just seeing debris on the camera. But at the moment I bolted into the command center, the vehicle went over the boiler. We had a picture of Titanic’s boiler on the wall, so everyone’s eyes did a double take.

I think my exact words were, “The sucker really exists.” My first reaction was, “Got it!” I played college basketball, and it was like scoring the winning goal. We were down to the last few days, beginning to accept that we, too, were not going to find it, conditioning ourselves to accept defeat. Jean-Louis Michel, my French co-discoverer who never gets enough credit, was on that watch."

Both men discovered the wreck, not just one.

Last edited:
Back