What did they wear in the lifeboats?

What did most people wear in the lifeboats? I know many were asleep since the first lifeboat left at 12:40 AM, so were most in their pajamas? Would social etiquette of the time, especially for women and the wealthy, have driven many people to get dressed before leaving their cabins?

honestly, I would think because there wasn't much time to get dressed, I would think they'd still be in their pajamas. maybe the adults would've dressed the smaller children though because it was cold.

Would social etiquette of the time, especially for women and the wealthy, have driven many people to get dressed before leaving their cabins?

For some it might have. Ben Guggenheim and his manservant were said to have dressed in their best to go down as gentlemen.

For most, it was come as you are with whatever you have.

This varies from person to person, frankly. I think First Class women would have put on light clothing with a warm coat on top. Men possibly their evening clothes or also pyjamas with their bathrobes. It does seem that the stewardesses took a huge amount of time to dress them if you look back at photos from after the disaster. But again, this would really vary from person to person.

Titanic's surviving stewardesses in Plymouth
MV_TitanicSurvivors_Plymouth1912_1105_745_80_s.jpg

Back