What four-stack liner is this? (Brooklyn Navy Yard 1924)

It may well be the "Kronprincessin Cecelie", having her stacks and vents cover after being moved from Bar Harbor, Maine. The ship was interned for a short while prior to being taken as a U.S. transport. Being in Brooklyn as opposed to Hoboken, she wasn't vandalized by her crew at the turn of America's political alliances.

I think you are right it is Kronprincessin Cecelie, renamed USS Mount Vernon troopship, There is an outside chance it is Kaiser Wilhelm II renamed USS Agamemnon troopship. I am not an expert but I think the battleship is a Colorado class one . I suspect BB-45 after returning from Europe on maiden voyage. Great photo,.

If it's 1924 I don't think it could be USS Mount Vernon as she was laidup in Maryland in 1920. Whereas USS Agammemon (ex Kaiser Wilhelm II) remained in use as an army transport into the middle 1920s. It's definitely one or the other.

The battleship is a Colorado class. All three were commissioned between 1921 and 1923, so take your pick! Moored beside her is an Omaha class light cruiser.

Will

Last edited:
Sadly, the USS Mount Vernon never put back into service post-war. She was evaluated for rebuilding, but it was decided she was too antiquated and small. Outfitting her with oil firing would have defied her earning potential. She was broken up at Boston Metals, of Baltimore.

Back