Where Did the Hull Break?

Please bear with me on this one, but sometimes we realize we lack information that should fall into the "common knowledge" category, and we have to play catch-up. This is one of those moments for me.

Where did the hull break occur, referenced by the public rooms on B Deck? Aft of the Grand Staircase, you had the a la Carte and Parisien restaurants (with their galley) and the Second Class smoking room, and it's my impression that the break was in that area. But I'd rather get the exact scoop from the experts.

The break begins at about the forward end of the reciprocating engines. The engine base broke and the forward cylinders on both engines came off. An area at least 60' long forward of the engines was destroyed totally. The first class lounge and a good deal of the cheaper first class accommodation went. Other casualties included many minor store rooms and a few crew quarters. The first class barber's shop went too, which is why its barber's pole was seen floating in the wreckage.

An area at least 60' long forward of the engines was destroyed totally. The first class lounge and a good deal of the cheaper first class accommodation went.

I don't think that the new findings of the 2010 expedition agree with that, as we have for example big (about 2-3 decks high) debris like the area of the 3rd funnel.
By the way, the 1st class lounge is not completely gone, the room itself is still there (of course totally smashed) only the aft end of it is gone.

Back