Where did the Window Cleaners, Extra QMs, and Deck Engineers/Storekeeper sleep?

Hi, I was just wondering where these people slept because I can't find these people's cabins anywhere and I am making a document for every crew member and passenger that includes where they slept. These are problems.

*There seems to be 7 Quartermasters, and the only cabin I find for them is on E-Deck (and it only holds 5 of the 7)

*I can't find the rooms of the Window Cleaners, Deck Engineers, and the Deck Storekeeper. I am assuming the Deck Engineers had a room in the Engineer's Quarters on F-Deck, but I am not sure)

If anyone has answers, please reply.

Thanks,
Charles

The 6 quartermasters slept in a cabin on the port side E deck. There was a seventh quartermaster, which is Sidney Humphreys, but he eventually worked as a saloon dayhand, so his quarters were on E deck, with the other seamen.
The Storekeeper -John Foley- shared a cabin with the lamptrimmer -Sammuel Hemming- in the forecastle (C deck) on the starboard side
And I believe the window cleaners also slept with the other seamen, basing myself on Scarrot's testimony at the British Inquiry:

"...There was one man in that boat that we had been under the impression - when I say "we," I mean the watch of sailors - that he was a sailorman. That man was not a sailor at all, though acting in the capacity of sailor. That was another man that was in the boat.
404. What was he?
- A window-cleaner; he was supposed to be in the ship as a window-cleaner. [William Harder]"

I cannot answer as for the Deck Engineers

Last edited:
There was a seventh quartermaster, which is Sidney Humphreys, but he eventually worked as a saloon dayhand, so his quarters were on C deck, with the other seamen.
Humphreys apparently signed on as a QM but he did not serve in that capacity. He served as an AB seaman and as such would have stayed in the seamens quarters in the forecastle.

Senator BOURNE. Who had charge of the boat
Mr. BRICE. Mr. Humphreys.
Senator BOURNE. What was his position?
Mr. BRICE. He was an able seaman.

So the window cleaners and Sidney Humphreys (who was actually a seaman) were in the Seamen Quarters, and John Foley and Samuel Hemming shared a cabin? Thank you guys for the information. I forgot to add another group of people (mess stewards). Where were these stewards. Did they bunk with all of the other stewards, or were they in another cabin?

Hi, I was just wondering where these people slept because I can't find these people's cabins anywhere and I am making a document for every crew member and passenger that includes where they slept. These are problems.

*There seems to be 7 Quartermasters, and the only cabin I find for them is on E-Deck (and it only holds 5 of the 7)

*I can't find the rooms of the Window Cleaners, Deck Engineers, and the Deck Storekeeper. I am assuming the Deck Engineers had a room in the Engineer's Quarters on F-Deck, but I am not sure)

If anyone has answers, please reply.

Thanks,
Charles

Regarding the Deck Engineers, I don't know about the Titanic specifically, but on any other ship these men are part of the engineering structure. On passenger ships I was on, they were either 4th, 5th or 6th engineers, and looked after lifeboat engines, emergency generator, deck fans, washing machines(!), winches/windlasses, deck cranes and other stuff like that. They were not "Deck Engineers" by trade, just given that position when joining a ship. It was normally day work so a pretty cushy number compared to watchkeeping in a coal-fired stokehold or engineroom. They probably changed about with other engineers and would have lived in the engineer's accommodation. Another term still in use in my day was "Daywork 4th" as well as Deck Engineer.

I forgot to add another group of people (mess stewards). Where were these stewards. Did they bunk with all of the other stewards, or were they in another cabin?
The mess stewards were counted in the same department as the rest of the deck crew. I'm not sure actually, but they could have easily slept in a cabin on the port side C deck, in the forecastle, just in front of the cabin shared by Hemming and Foley.

Peggy, although I am not sure, I am assuming they bunked with the seamen on E-Deck.

Also, Ioannis, I can find the Engineer Mess Stewards, who bunked near the Galley stairwell, but not the rest of the stewards. Is there any chance the Officer mess stewards were in the port foc'sle room on C-Deck?

Charles

Back