Answered Where were the cabins of the A la Carte restaurant crew?

Tiespd

Hi,

I just heard that the crew of the restaurant A La Carte Restaurant was retained in their cabins for some time and that’s why just the 2 cashiers survived. I know their cabins should be on E deck in Scotland Road but, which of the cabins was the one for them?

Following the deck plans, there are several cabins for crew but none of them is detailed as been the one for the crew of A La Carte Restaurant. In addition, which should have been the cabin for the two cashiers? As the were women, I guess they should have had a different cabins right?

Thank you!

Solution
Hello,

The à la carte restaurant staff had their quarters on 2 decks.

1604576880892.png

On C-deck you only had the cabin of the restaurant manager (Gaspare Antonio Pietro Gatti). It was slightly more placed towards the port side because Thomas Andrews Jr proposed the dispersing of the staterooms C-144 and C-146 which were located there to enlarge the cabin of the assistant doctor, among with placing the cabin of the chief steward on C-deck instead of D-deck. The restaurant manager his cabin had red and cream linoleum tiles with identical panelling and furniture as the officer’s quarters on boat deck.

1604576888050.png

The location of the cabin on the Olympic during her maiden voyage in June 1911.

1604576893308.png

Just as the stewardesses...
Hello,

The à la carte restaurant staff had their quarters on 2 decks.

1604576880892.png

On C-deck you only had the cabin of the restaurant manager (Gaspare Antonio Pietro Gatti). It was slightly more placed towards the port side because Thomas Andrews Jr proposed the dispersing of the staterooms C-144 and C-146 which were located there to enlarge the cabin of the assistant doctor, among with placing the cabin of the chief steward on C-deck instead of D-deck. The restaurant manager his cabin had red and cream linoleum tiles with identical panelling and furniture as the officer’s quarters on boat deck.

1604576888050.png

The location of the cabin on the Olympic during her maiden voyage in June 1911.

1604576893308.png

Just as the stewardesses their cabins which were separated from the other The cabin of the 2 female cashiers (Ruth Harwood Bowker and Mabel Elvina Martin) was located on E-deck between the first class staterooms. It was beside E-24 to be more precise. On the Olympic a linen locker could be found there in June 1911. Their cabin was less lavish than the cabin of any of the stewardesses with a simpler bunk and litosilo on the floor instead of a wall to wall carpet like the stewardesses cabin.

1604576913166.png

And now the quarters for the rest of the à la carte restaurant staff. During the maiden voyage of the Olympic around 45 staff members of the à la carte restaurant were on-board. Since the à la carte restaurant was extended to the port side, among with a larger pantry and galley, and the café Parisian were added a larger staff was needed. The quarters are located aft of the recpiocating engine room. Their quarters had 11 rooms (ten dormitories and 1 cabin for a single person). The dormitories had a litosilo floor with lockers for their uniforms and the same bunks as the rest of the crewmembers dormitories.

I hope this might help you.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas

Solution
Wow, thank you so much for the information. Now I understand if perfectly.

It is curious to me that the two ladies had their cabin far from the rest of the crew and in first class location, but this also explain why they where saved, maybe from their cabin they had no problem to reach boat deck from the first class grand staircase. This also makes me wonder if the two ladies had access to the rest of the first class facilities for example, to have a walk in A deck among other first class passengers.

Thank you!

Back