White Star buckle

hi everyone,i have a buckle that i found in an old white starline place stamped on one side (top)
hooles pat.oct.5.58.
NEW YORK TO
QUEENSTOWN

on the back then it says,
(top)
QUEENSTOWN TO
NEW-YORK
WHITE STARLINE
It's bade of brass.i was thinking of putting it on ebay,but don't know how much to start it at does any one think its worth much???

It's difficult to make a judgment without photographs.

[Moderator's Note: These two messages, originally part of an existing thread in a different topic, have been moved to this subtopic addressing similar questions. MAB]

You would need to get it appraised by somebody who knows the ground. It might be genuine but it might also be one of those trinkets produced by the bucketful in India and Pakistan. Bill is somebody who knows a thing or several hundred dozen about liner ephemera.

Hi there,

I'll add my two cents and mention I never sell to someone giving me an appraisal. That is just my own way of doing things - your results may vary.

Best,
Eric

There was another brass Titanic buckle making the rounds back in the early '90's which had Bon Voyage Titanic on it, said to be cast from an actual 1911 mold which was used to make these buckles for sale onboard the ship. I had one which was stolen from an exhibit display, the thief thinking it had actually been on the ship. One pops up on ebay from time to time at a ridiculous price.

Hi Shelley,

Yes, I remember you talking about your stolen item. If memory serves, there is a photo of one of those "recent" buckles in a thread here somewhere. Perhaps the Pirkenhammer thread.

Best wishes,
Eric

Shelley, Are you referring to the buckle with the pair of Art Nouveau mermaids? Much wider than tall? The earliest that could realistically be is 1970's because that's when over sized, "do your own thing" belt buckles came around.

Hi Bill,

That is what I thought - incorrect for the period. And yes, it had mermaids and so on if I recall correctly. I'll try to find that image I mentioned.

Best wishes,
Eric

205290.jpg

Bill- yes- it was art nouveau and had those mermaids on each side and was rectangular. I did not know they went back as far as 1970's. But that is possible, now I come to think of it because that's when I joined SSHSA (1976) and got one as a gift. Boy, time flies! I wonder what they are worth now- I think one could be had for about $12.00 then. Oh, we have a photo here on ET afterall.

Back