White Star Line Pocketwatch

Hello,

I recently bought an antique man's Evington pocket watch from an elderly lady who said it belonged to either her grandfather, John Whealen, who worked as a longshoreman around Gloucester, NJ during the early 1900's or some family members that came from Ireland during this same time period. After I got the watch home and was in the process of cleaning it, I flipped open the inner lid, to my surprise I noticed that the White Star Line signature Flag symbol was engraved onto the inside of the case. The pocket watch appears to be a gilt brass, the outside of the case is engraved with beautiful florals and scrolling. The dial is white enameled with black enameled Roman numerals, attached to the watch is a blonde human hair chain and a brass fob with horses and horseshoes for good luck. the watch is marked "Swiss" inside and there are two rubies inside on the gears as well. This looks like it was a high quality watch in its day. I will happily provide some pictures of the watch, if anyone could tell me if the White Star Line gave it's employees' gifts such as a pocket watch engraved with the White Star Line flag symbol. Any information would be appreciated.Please email me at [email protected]

Hello,

Did you ever get an answer to your question? I too have inherited a pocket watch that matches the one you described, and I noticed the star flag mark. I have been unable to find out if this is the White Star logo, or some other makers mark. What have you learned about these watches??

Larry Anderson
Rochester, MN

Larry---

Please note that the message you're responding to is over four years old and that Ms. Arnone has not been a registered user for at least two years (given that her username was available for someone else who registered in November 2005). In light of this, I would not expect that you'll get a response.

[Moderator's Note: This thread has been moved from the "General Titanica" topic, to this "Marketplace" subtopic, where it fits better. MAB]

Back