Who fired the gun on the Boat deck except Lowe

Hi Everybody!

I know that there have been a lot of theories as to who fired the gun twice on the boat deck, before allegedly shooting himself, but I want to know what theories other people have on the matter.

Carla

PS. I don't know if this topic has been discussed already, but I have looked and not seen anything... only one that asks if anyone shoot themselves, but not asking who actually fired the shots.

Well, in the event of a suicide, the victim obviously drops the hammer on himself. Question is, if anything of the sort happened, was it a suicide or did the victim have some unwanted outside "Help?"

Go to home comcast net/%7Ebwormst/titanic/shots/shots.htm for a discussion of what's known.

>>Is there no end to your knowledge <<

Let's just say thatI know everything about everything, except for all the things I don't know, and I'm always right except when I'm wrong!

Seriously, I've picked up on quite a bit since I first started taking part on this forum six years ago. I'm always happy to pass on what I've learned. Seems a fair trade for what I've gained.

On the matter of gunplay on the Titanic, we know that it happened although that which is known beyond question is amazingly slim compared to a lot that's inferred more from rumour, innuendo, and a lot of newspaper stories published by people who didn't mind getting "creative" with the facts. As you can see from the link, wading through all of that to get at a few hard kernels of truth is no small accomplishment.

>wading through all of that to get at a few hard kernels of truth is no small accomplishment<

... and that's why I want to know people's opinions
happy.gif
I've tried to get facts regarding the last moments of the Titanic straight by cross-checking the evidence I can find, and it has been almost a year since I started, but I'm not much closer to anything
sad.gif

God bless all the people who do that kind of thing for a living...

BTW, Michael, I'm glad that you do share what you know with us - it's better to let the world know so that people have a basic knowledge on which to build up on.

Carla

PS. Looking forward to more opinions...
happy.gif

>>but I'm not much closer to anything <<

Welcome to the club. The chaps who wrote that article did more in depth research on the question then I could even dream of having the time for.

The problem with "opinion" is that opinions aren't facts. Often it's just speculation that's mistaken for fact. Just stick with the way you're doing it. You may not get much out of it, but what you do get will tend on the whole to be a lot more reliable.

"Often it's just speculation that's mistaken for fact."

And that is a fact ;-)

As I am sure everyone is aware so much of what happened on that night will be forever guessed at. Sadly, just like now, the press did not help matters either.

My approach to the Titanic story has been to read what ever I can get hold of that looks good, watch whatever documentaries I can on the telly or that I can buy. Then I started picking things out that intrigued me as I went along and delved a bit deeper.
So much of the research done by members on here though blows me away and I really enjoy reading most of it. I take my hat of to them all.

Bill's site is required reading on the subject, Carla, and you might also want to have a look at Earl Chapman's ET article:

If you delve into past messageboard threads deeply enough you'll find quite a bit of discussion on each candidate for the shooting - if any shooting did occur.

>>Sadly, just like now, the press did not help matters either.<<

You're absolutely right. They didn't. If you have a mind to try it, you might want to try comparing contemporary press reports to what can actually be shown or falsified by the evidence. My bet is that you would be able to get a helluva good paper or even a book out of it.

"If you have a mind to try it, you might want to try comparing contemporary press reports to what can actually be shown or falsified by the evidence. My bet is that you would be able to get a helluva good paper or even a book out of it."

I'm surprised that has not been done already. I would much rather read something like that than some of the other stuff written about Titanic over the years. A good idea that,
my problem would be making myself do it before someone else got there first! Something to think about though.

>>I'm surprised that has not been done already.<<

In a roundabout way, it has, but in my opinion, not all that concisely. "Titanic : A Night Remembered " by Stephanie Barczewski deals with the overall picture of how the Titanic affair was taken and written about in the media of the day, but I don't know of anything that made an attempt to put any fact checking of those stories in any one place.

The resources and the information are out there to do it. If you want to have a go at it, now would be a good time to start gathering it all together for publication at a time when Titanic interest is likely to on the rise...say in 2012.

"If you want to have a go at it, now would be a good time to start gathering it all together for publication at a time when Titanic interest is likely to on the rise...say in 2012."

Put like that, maybe even I could manage that time frame.

I'm sure I won't be able to do that even by 2012! I have time-management problems and I have a very short attention span
happy.gif
I can perhaps try though...

Carla

PS. What is Bill's site, please, Inger? I don't think I know.

Back