Why didn't Titanic see Californian's Morse Lamps?

To the foregoing, you should add the lights seen by AB William Lucas and QM Walter Wynne. Both these men saw a red light and a single white steaming light whiule Boxhall was very specific that he saw two white steaming lightsthen a single white light.

Quartermaster Wynne" 13342. (The Commissioner.) Then I do not understand it. I thought you first saw a red light, and then it disappeared, and then you saw a white light? A: - I saw the red and white, and then the red and white disappeared, and then I saw the white light remain.
13343. You saw both the red and the white light at the same time? A: - Yes.

AB Lucas: "1580. Did you see any other light beside the red light? A: - Yes, the steaming light.

These guys were seeing a vessel other than the one seen by Boxhall which had two white steaming lights. Like Boxhall, the one they saw was not Californian. Californian was showing two white steaming lights and unlike Boxhall's vessel, was stopped.

For what it's worth (not very much since I am not an expert on these matters, although I HAVE read the transcripts of both inquests), I completely agree with Michael's view expressed in the above-quoted post. -- Paul Heath (Vocabo)