William and Anna Amelia Lahtinen

To Donna Matson or anyone else who may have information on these people. I found a picture in my deceased grandmothers things. On the back it says, Rev. and Mrs. William Lahti and adopted daughter. Drowned in Titanic 1912. Thanks, ginny

Would like any info on Anna Amelia and her husband William. Does anyone out there know if there are any photos of the couple,or any living relatives.Any info would be gratefully received.

Kay - Here is mt printout on the above couple I hope that it helps?

Lahtinen, Mrs. Anna Amelia (nee Sylvan). Missing. Wife of Reverend William Lahtinen (see below). 26-years-old. En route from - Kemi, Finland. Going to Minneapolis. Minn. USA.
Mrs Anna Lahtinen, aged 26 years. Anna was born in the USA and was visiting her husband's family. After the accident William calmly smoked a cigar whilst Anna clung to him in mortal terror. Her name at first appeared on the list of survivors, but in fact she was drowned.
Mrs Lahtinen's daughter Martha died on 10th March 1912 while the family was visiting relatives in Finland.
Mrs William Lahtinen (Anna Sylvan), 26, was born in America her parents having settled there from Finland. She had a brother in Hancock, MI.
Anna boarded the Titanic at Southampton with her husband Rev William Lahtinen. They had been visiting Kemi, in northern Finland in order to help their friend, Lyyli Silvén who was immigrating to America. Now they were returning, with Miss Sylvan to the home they were building in Minneapolis, MN.
After the Titanic collided with an iceberg, Anna had initially boarded a lifeboat, but decided that she wanted to stay with her husband. Miss Silven, however, got in a boat and was rescued. She later told that Anna Lahtinen had looked very nervous, while William had calmly smoked a cigar. Neither of their bodies were found.

Lahtinen, Revered William. En route from Kemi, Finland. Missing. 36-years-old.
Mr. William Lahtinen, minister of religion aged 30 years. Living in Minneapolis USA. Returning from a visit to relatives in Kemi, Finland with his wife and niece Lyyli Silven. During the visit home, the Lahtinen's who were by now, American citizens suffered the loss of their infant daughter Martha on 10th March 1912. Lahtinen wrote to a friend that he felt that they would soon be joining their lost child.
Insurance claim C35. Life $5,000. Property $800. Claims filed by administrators.
Also travelling second class were the Reverend William Lahtinen and his wife Anna. They were American citizens and were visiting their relatives in Northern Finland. Lyyli Silven, whose father was Reverend Lahtinens cousin accompanied them on their way back to Minneapolis, where a house was being built for the Lahtinens.
(After his daughters death in March 1912, The Reverend wrote to friends that ''it wont be long before we follow her'', he and his wife went down with the Titanic.
Rev William Lahtinen
Rev William Lahtinen (30) and Mrs Anna Lahtinen (26) were Finnish-Americans resident in Minneapolis, MN who had been visiting Northern Finland in order to assist their friend, Miss Lyyli Silven (18) in immigrating to America. When the Titanic sank, Anna had first jumped into a lifeboat, but somehow decided not to leave the sinking liner, obviously because she wanted to stay with her husband. Miss Silven, however, got in a boat and was rescued. She later told that Anna Lahtinen had looked very nervous, while William had calmly smoked a cigar. Neither of their bodies were found.

Hi Kay: There are photos of a very-striking (in my opinion) Anna holding her baby, and of her husband, in one of the Titanic Commutators which featured an article on "Finns on the Titanic". I have it boxed away somewhere and would be glad to share it with you if I should come across it. Regards, Dennis Foley

I would be very interested in seeing that photo and reading that article if it would still be possible!

I am currently doing a lot of research on the Finnish and Swedish passengers and some seem just impossible to get any grip on.

Maritha,

Nothing on the Lahtinens, but have you seen this book? - I'm Going to See What Has Happened: The Personal Experience of Third Class Finnish Titanic Survivor Mrs. Elin Hakkarainen, including the stories of Miss Laina Heikkinen and Miss Anna Sofia Turja by Gerald E. Nummi and Janet A. White.

Lester,

Thank you very much, I had not seen that book. I was aware of some book by Janet A. White that has been referred to in other threads concerning Finnish passengers, but I never noticed the title of it. Perhaps this was the one. Thanks!

Martha was born 1907 (don't have month or day, though). Of course it is possible it was spelled Martta, but many other immigrant parents gave their children names familiar to them from their home countries but did indeed spell them in an American way. Perhaps that was a way to "retain the old country" and at the same time make it easier for their children to grow up in the new country, with names that "fit in".

Is she child was born in 1907 and died in 1912, she would hardly be considered an infant now.I wonder why she died?
I am interested as well to that picture od the family and that book. I have never heard of it before.

Anna Lahtinen's maiden name was spelled Silfven. Lyyli Sylven was a cousin of Anna's. There is a quite large Silfven family in the United States. Roy Silfven contributed to the Lahtinen family entries in the Encyclopaedia Titanic. He published a Silfven family tree at wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=silfven&I11.x=0&I11.y=0
Anna's entry is at wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=silfven&id=I0111.
Lyyli's entry is at wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=silfven&id=I0559

Anna's brother, Carl Albert Silfven, married Anna Lydia Filpus, my great-grandfather's sister, so the Silfven family overlaps with my own family tree.

Oh, my go, thank you so much! This helps alot!

A question though, i am 100% Finnish, born and raised in Finland, but i notice that Silfven is not Finnish. It looks if anything to be, typically, Swedish or possibly (far-fetched) Russian. Did Anna have Swedish or Russian in her history?

Anna's grandfather Karl Jacob Silven, added the "f" to Silvén, changing the family name to Silfven, according to wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=silfven&id=I0022

Karl's father, Mickel Sipola, adopted the surname Silven, possibly from an occupation change.

Quote: Mayhaps Anna's grandfather changed his name due to possible immigration?

Perhaps, my sources are vague on when the name was changed from Silven to Silfven. Karl Silfven came to America with his family, so all of the Silfvens have lived in America. However, there is a family gravestone in Tornio Finland with a Silfven family name on it. The gravestone is for Titanic survivor Lyyli Silven's parents, Nikolai Alexanteri and Anna Karolina, her brother and his wife, Johan Ferdinand and Anna Ester and her nephew, Eino Johannes. All of the records, except this gravestone, and all of the descendants of this family used the name Silven. A couple of photos of this gravestone are available on the Silfven-Silven family reunion web-site at Silfven-Silven family meeting under Pictures at edu.ouka.fi/~psilven/suku/tornio/.

There are multiple pictures of Lyyli Silven (all with the Silfven spelling) on the site at edu.ouka.fi/~psilven/suku/Pictures/Pictures2/pictures2.html.

It looks like the family considers the names to be interchangeable.

Back