William Long

William was the brother of Frank Long.Steve Long
Hi Steve, are you related to both Frank and William?
I have done a lot of research in to my family history, I recently discovered whilst researching my family tree that I am related to both Frank & William Long. They were my 2nd cousins 4 times removed. I’m looking to speak to any of their living descendents to learn more about them if possible.

I knew William's son George James Long in Canada, he was married to my great grandfather's adopted sister Lena Jamieson. They stayed at our house a few times when they visited and we stayed at their house once as well when I was a kid. George's mother had sent him and his older brother William Frank Long to an orphanage after the Titanic sinking. Wm Frank Long passed away in the orphanage in England abt. 1920.
George didn't move to Canada to do farm work, he was sent there as part of the Barnardo Boys (British Home Children) to be adopted out to people looking for cheap farm laborers to exploit. He was in Toronto first, before ending up on a farm in West Williams Township, Middlesex County, Ontario. George had no interest in reconnecting with his family from England when his sister contacted him and wouldn't ever go back there I'm told. George and Lena are buried in Gravenhurst, Ontario which is where they lived.
George's son William George Long "George Jr." is still alive in British Columbia, Canada as far as we know, he'd be 95 in 2023.
Jason Millar

Back