Laura J

Hi all Titanic lovers, after years of reading this is my first post. I am Laura, from Italy and I am the nth writer who’s working on a novel based on the facts we all well know and love. Even if it’s fictional I want it to be historically correct and I have many doubts about what to include and what to avoid in the text. The first question I have is: should I say Nearer my God to thee was heard in the final moments of the sinking? I watched a video of Edith Russell on youtube in which she said those who say that song was played tell a ghastly horrible lie. Mrs Snyder instead said it was played on repeat. Now I know there is an infinite debate about this topic and no one ever will know the truth, but it’s a fact that common people believe true from the movies. So what should I do? Should I mention it or not? What do you think a common reader, not a titanic lover like those who write in this forum, would expect or like to find in a novel about titanic? What must not be left out? The book will be out on Amazon kindle on September 15 in italian and will soon be translated in English. I added the cover to the post. What do you think about it? Do you like it? Thanks a lot to those who will reply
Honor and Glory, always
Laura

Attachments

• 0222E2F2-590C-45DD-BA47-296589A705E1.jpeg
    0222E2F2-590C-45DD-BA47-296589A705E1.jpeg
    418.8 KB · Views: 81
The first question I have is: should I say Nearer my God to thee was heard in the final moments of the sinking? I watched a video of Edith Russell on youtube in which she said those who say that song was played tell a ghastly horrible lie. Mrs Snyder instead said it was played on repeat. Now I know there is an infinite debate about this topic and no one ever will know the truth, but it’s a fact that common people believe true from the movies. So what should I do? Should I mention it or not?
Hello Laura,

It's nice to meet you.

The debate is an interesting one, however from what i've seen there are many accounts that recalled that the quintet led by bandmaster Wallace Hartley played until near the final plunge of the ship. While I promised to make a list that shows most accounts that recall the mentioning of the tune being played I still haven't found the time to compel that said list. Perhaps I'll start tomorrow. But from what I've seen there are only a handful of survivors who specifically said that the band either didn't play "Nearer My God To Thee" or not at all during the final plunge of the ship with quite a big number of passengers stating that they did.

I hope you have a wonderful day.

Kind regards,

Thomas

Thanks Thomas for your kind reply. You gave me an idea about how to solve the problem of NMGTT: maybe my 2 main carachters could interact with some of the survivors who testify they heard the band playing it AND with some who told it was Automne. Bride has a part already, so I just have to find a couple more names and leave the reader to decide what he likes best. You helped me a lot! Have a great day

Hi Laura, It's always the writer's choice. Will it add to the sense of who your main characters are? Would they, in their story, want it to be included? That is all, Icy

Hi Laura, It's always the writer's choice. Will it add to the sense of who your main characters are? Would they, in their story, want it to be included? That is all, Icy
Thanks a lot Icy for your advise and kind words about my book. I have decided to go with NMGTT. I wrote around ten lines added to the chapter about the last stage of the sinking and my proof reader started to cry half way through, so I guess I made a good job! I hope Titanic souls would be pleased too

(What follows is just my opinion, I could be "wrong.") :) If they were playing one song after another, it's possible that not all the survivors remembered hearing each of them. Where the passengers were/ other loud sounds they heard at the time/ or what occupied their attention as they were struggling for survival may have had an affect on their attention span for the duration of any song in question. Perhaps some suffered from memory lapses or repressed memories as well. Maybe even liking or disliking a song had something to do with whether they admitted to hearing it or not. Not recognizing the song's name may be another factor. Wish we could ask the band, or hear their survival stories! Alas they all with down with the ship, in noble fashion. I recently read Allan Wolf's historical fiction masterpiece: The Watch that Ends the Night. The 2nd violinist, Mr. Hume, is one of the voices. He has a page of his own several times throughout the work. His bittersweet, imagined ending is especially moving, as his sinking violin seems to play music into his mind, warming his memories as he loses consciousness. I don't recall that book mentioning "Nearer My God to Thee." The presence of that info could have to do with a book author's opinion about the song as well, whether they want to include it. I read my grandpa's old 1912 memorial edition of the "true story" of the Titanic, which is named after that song as part of its title. So, in that case, the author puts more emphasis on it. But historical fiction doesn't have to include everything that other books do.

Last edited:
(What follows is just my opinion, I could be "wrong.") :) If they were playing one song after another, it's possible that not all the survivors remembered hearing each of them. Where the passengers were/ other loud sounds they heard at the time/ or what occupied their attention as they were struggling for survival may have had an affect on their attention span for the duration of any song in question. Perhaps some suffered from memory lapses or repressed memories as well. Maybe even liking or disliking a song had something to do with whether they admitted to hearing it or not. Not recognizing the song's name may be another factor. Wish we could ask the band, or hear their survival stories! Alas they all with down with the ship, in noble fashion. I recently read Allan Wolf's historical fiction masterpiece: The Watch that Ends the Night. The 2nd violinist, Mr. Hume, is one of the voices. He has a page of his own several times throughout the work. His bittersweet, imagined ending is especially moving, as his sinking violin seems to play music into his mind, warming his memories as he loses consciousness. I don't recall that book mentioning "Nearer My God to Thee." The presence of that info could have to do with a book author's opinion about the song as well, whether they want to include it. I read my grandpa's old 1912 memorial edition of the "true story" of the Titanic, which is named after that song as part of its title. So, in that case, the author puts more emphasis on it. But historical fiction doesn't have to include everything that other books do.
thanks a lot for your kind reply. I totally agree with all you said. I decided to mention nearer my god to thee in my book, even if I was in doubt, because, in the end, the vast majority of those who will read it don’t know about the dispute if it was played or not. It‘s a super fan thing, like us. The book is out now in italian and i will translate it in english soon. I hope, maybe, you’ll check it out. Again, thanks for taking the time to write your comment

Back