Yamato blueprints

Tom Bates

HI I have read in several books that the blueprints to the Yamato were destroyed by the Japaneses before the war ended to prevent them from falling in to allied hands. But i can across this document http://www.fischer-tropsch.org/primary_documents/gvt_reports/USNAVY/USNTMJ%20Reports/USNTMJ-200G-0146-0229%20Report%20S-01-4.pdf suggesting that the us took and shipped blueprints of the Yamato back to the usa after the war. Can any one confirm this? Also would any of the plans exist to this day and if so would i be able to obtain copy's of them? The main page has many other Japanese war technology documents http://www.fischer-tropsch.org/primary_documents/gvt_reports/USNAVY/USNTMJ%20Reports/USNTMJ_toc.htm some of the are very interesting to read. - Tom

I don't know if any detail working drawings have survived, but if my "Anatomy of the Ship Yamato" is any indication...it gives vividly detailed drawings of the ship's internal arrangements, I would say it's a shoe in that the general plans survived.

Hi the bottom of page 80 of the document i link too, it lists the documents sent to the bureau of ships. NavTechJap no. nd50-1033 to nd50-1035 piping plans - yamato. Also the book u list i have but it dont have any plans of the machinery rooms. Does any one know for sure if the usa took the blueprints? Would these plans exist some place online or if there is a way i can get copys? - Tom

according to what i dug up, the IJN Yamato's blueprint initials of 1929-1939 and modifications of 1941-1944 were burned, however their were some rather useless records of the yamato's maintenance blueprints and logs for electricals, boilers and such.. the only existing substantial blueprint which is still intact is of the 'Musashi', the ship was supposed to have been captured by the US navy in 1943 when the 'musashi' was placed as the "admiral flagship" to substitute the 'yamato' in the the "battle of leyte gulf"(philippines) when the musashi was captured, it automatically lost the admiral flagship title, the IJN Zuikaku became the Admiral Flagship and the IJN Kongo became the Rear Admiral Flagship after the former Rear Admiral flagship IJN Nachi accidentally rammed IJN Mogami and capsized, the Zuikaku retires as the Admiral flagship before sinking in the "The Battle of/off Cape Engaño". 'yamato' became the "vice admiral flagship" and was returning to 'kure' at the time and soon again became the Admiral Flagship before sinking outside Okinawa bay in 1945; i'm not exactly sure what happened to the Musashi since in 1943. anyway i doubt the plans would be lying around somewhere in the net, its probably hidden by the IJN museum in japan or by the US navy archives in washington. it would be nice to get the plans though because i want to replicate a 3D model of the famous Yamato in SU6, oh well :p

>>the ship was supposed to have been captured by the US navy in 1943 when the 'musashi' was placed as the "admiral flagship" to substitute the 'yamato' in the the "battle of leyte gulf"(philippines) .<<

Where does this "captured" thing come from? The Musashi was sunk on October 24, 1944 in the Battle of the Sibuyan Sea.

i just read it from some old books in the public library nearby. dont ask me if its true or not because the books there are super old (founded in 1904). anyway to get to the point, i doubt any substantial blueprint of the yamato still exists today, their might be for the Musashi but i have no clue where to get it..

If the books said the Musashi was captured, I would submit they got it wrong. The wreck is still out there, right where she sank. Now if they indicate the blueprints were captured, that's a lot more credible. If they were, they may well be buried in some dusty archive somewhere.

Back