Complete cast list of A Night to Remember

Aydan,

Have you checked out the listing at The Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com)? I don't know if it's 'complete', but it's certainly exhaustive. There's also the advantage of being able to easily cross reference with cast members' work in other films.

Otherwise, there is a cast list in William MacQuitty's Titanic Memories: the making of A Night to Remember (National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London, 2000, ISBN 0948065362). However, this list is considerably shorter than that available online.

LOL!

Well, that didn't stop me. I've got MacQuitty's book so if you have a specific question...

But what is it exactly you're looking for in the cast list? The IMDB list is a great deal more comprehensive - and useful - than what's in Titanic Memories, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Aydan, this is taken directly from imdb.com...:

Full Cast and Crew for
Night to Remember, A (1958)

Directed by
Roy Ward Baker (as Roy Baker)

Writing credits
Eric Ambler
Walter Lord (book)

Cast (in credits order) verified as complete
Kenneth More .... Second Officer Charles Herbert Lightoller
Ronald Allen (I) .... Mr. Clarke
Robert Ayres (I) .... Major Arthur Peuchen
Honor Blackman .... Mrs. Liz Lucas
Anthony Bushell .... Captain Arthur Rostron (Carpathia)
John Cairney .... Mr. Murphy
Jill Dixon .... Mrs. Clarke
Jane Downs .... Mrs. Sylvia Lightoller
James Dyrenforth (I) .... Colonel Archibald Gracie
Michael Goodliffe .... Thomas Andrews
Kenneth Griffith .... Wireless Operator John 'Jack' Phillips
Harriette Johns .... Lady Richard
Frank Lawton .... Chairman J. Bruce Ismay
Richard Leech (I) .... First Officer William Murdoch
David McCallum (I) .... Assistant Wireless Operator Harold Bride
Alec McCowen .... Wireless Operator Harold Thomas Cottam (Carpathia)
Tucker McGuire .... Mrs. Margaret 'Molly' Brown
John Merivale .... Robbie Lucas
Ralph Michael .... Mr. Yates
Laurence Naismith .... Captain Edward John Smith
Russell Napier .... Captain Stanley Lord (Californian)
Redmond Phillips .... Mr. Hoyle
George Rose (I) .... Chief Baker Charles Joughin
Joseph Tomelty .... Dr. O'Laughlin
Patrick Waddington .... Sir Richard
Jack Watling .... Fourth Officer Joseph Boxhall
Geoffrey Bayldon .... Wireless Operator Cyril Evans (Californian)
Michael Bryant (I) .... Sixth Officer James Moody
Cyril Chamberlain .... Quartermaster George Thomas Rowe
Richard Clarke (II) .... Martin Gallagher
Bee Duffell .... Mrs. Farrell
Harold Goldblatt .... Benjamin Guggenheim
Gerald Harper .... 3rd Officer (Carpathia)
Richard Hayward (I) .... Victualling Officer
Thomas Heathcote .... Steward
Danuta Karell .... Polish Mother
Andrew Keir .... Engineer Officer Hesketh
Christina Lubicz .... Polish Girl
Barry MacGregor .... Apprentice James Gibson (Californian)
Edward Malin .... Dining Saloon Steward (as Eddie Malin)
Patrick McAlinney .... Mr. James Farrell
Helen Misener .... Mrs. Straus
Mary Monahan .... Kate
Howard Pays .... Fifth Officer Harold Lowe
Philip Ray (I) .... Carpathia Clergyman
Harold Siddons .... Second Officer Herbert Stone (Californian)
Julian Somers .... Bull
Tim Turner (I) .... Third Officer Charles Groves (Californian)
Meier Tzelniker .... Mr. Isador Straus
rest of cast listed alphabetically
Bernard Fox (I) .... Lookout Frederick Fleet (uncredited)
Gladys Henson (uncredited)
Stratford Johns .... Man on Upturned Life Boat (uncredited)
Ann Lancaster .... Woman on train talking to Kenneth More (uncredited)
Howard Lang (II) .... Seaman (uncredited)
Gerald Lawson .... Steerage passenger (uncredited)
Desmond Llewelyn .... Seaman At Steerage Gate (uncredited)
Clive Marshall .... Crew member (uncredited)
Derren Nesbitt .... Man Holding Oar on Upturned Life Boat (uncredited)
Robert Raglan (uncredited)
Norman Rossington .... Steerage Steward (uncredited)
Stuart Wagstaff .... Steward (uncredited)

Produced by
William MacQuitty .... producer
Earl St. John .... executive producer

Thanks Richard, however, I think there are some errors. Firstly, Rosamund Greenwood and Jane Downs, not Ann Lancaster, were talking to Kenneth More on the train (thanks to the Making of ANTR for that info). Thanks just the same , though and they forget to list Teresa Thorne as Edith Russell

Aydan,

Thank you for remembering Teresa Thorne. I've been meaning to make mention of her being left out. I can't imagine why she's not listed. During filming in 1957, MacQuitty insisted on a full series of publicity photos showing Thorne with the real Edith Russell - and her pig.

One that you may be aware was displayed by the late Walter Lord in his home. Another, which I only have a newsclipping of, shows the two standing at the foot of the staircase on the movie set. The actress is in costume and Edy is examining it "for accuracy" the cutline says. Yet another press picture I've been told of (but not seen yet)shows Edy with Thorne seated in a lifeboat on the set.

Randy

Aydan,

Thanks! Now I know why you're after the full cast list, and the sort of information you're looking for - not that I've got good news for you. It's been a while since I've read Macquitty's Titanic Memories, so I had a quick skim before responding.

The detail you're looking for just isn't in the book. It's an overview of the entire project, from concept to realisation to premiere and beyond. There's very little on the cast, even if it is bolstered with anecdotes about people, many of them featuring the marvellous Edith Russell - what a character!

Most of the photos are from the production: cast, crew, special effects, storyboard, etc. There's also a full reproduction of the film's UK publicity brochure, including a cast list much shorter than that available elsewhere. It's also fair to add that the book is less than 50 pages in length, just under a third devoted to reproducing the publicity brochure.

For what it's worth, the making of ANTR would seem to be the best source of information on the cast. And you've already seen that.

As for the inaccuracy/imcompletion of the list on IMDB: is it still possible to submit updated/corrected information to the site? Several years ago I submitted some changes/updates to cast and crew information for one of the listings there, and it was used. The situation may've changed, but it may be worth a look.

Randy - sadly MacQuitty hasn't used many of those photos you've described above, even if the book is quite well illustrated. I do wish it were a longer work.

Fiona, I'm sure you can submit amendments to the IMDb - I've done so within the past 6 months. They seem very happy to have errors corrected and omissions filled.

bob

Am I correct in spotting George A Cooper as the Carpathia's victualling officer giving details of the reorganisation of accomodation to Captain Rostron as they race towards the Titanic?

Honor Blackman, Mrs Liz Lucas, has her small son with her, you see him in sailor's uniform. He is played by Stephen Lowe the son of Arthur Lowe of Dad's Army fame (Capt. Mainwaring.)

For those who do not watch BBC TV programmes, this is will mean nothing to you I am afraid!

Isn't it strange that only A Night To Remember prominently features the Californian's role on that night. None of the more recent mini-series or Cameron's blockbuster films even mentions the name Californian. I wonder why.

Well, for one thing, the Californian issue would be an entire movie in itself. Cameron's movie was already three hours long. And because he unfortunately chose to emphasize Jack and Rose's story over the actual historical story, he decided some details had to go, the Californian issue being one of them.

Back