The Lightollers

Tracy Smith

I'm curious as to whether Second Officer Lightoller and his wife, Sylvia, had any children. I've read a bit about her, and she sounds like a very nice person, but I've never read anything in regards to children, grandchildren, etc.

Yes they did have children, the eldest son died in WW2 and the other one sailed with Charles on the Sundowner to Dunkirk. I think that there was also a daughter.

Hope this helps.

Mike Napier

The Lightollers had 5 children total.

(pre Titanic)
Roger 1906-1945
Trevor 1908-?

(post Titanic)
Mavis
Doreen
Brian 1918-1939

I don't know the exact dates of the birthdays of the girls. Or the death of Trevor, Mavis & Doreen, if in fact they have past away.

Roger was the son who went to Dunkirk with his father and died at the end of WWII leaving a wife, Marcia who died in the early 80s. I have no idea if Roger had kids. Brian who died on the second day of WWII was only 21 and was un-married. Trevor and both girls were married and I am not sure how many grandkids they had total.

I'm also not sure if any of the three remaining kids are still alive. I'm sure the two girls were up until a few years ago, because they commented about the Titanic movie. I think Phil G. would be able to tell you more.

I hope this helped a little =)

Jane

They met onboard the Suevic when Sylvia was returning from England after staying with an aunt there. He was a 29 year old officer and she an 18 year old (almost) passenger. By the time they reached Australia they agreed to marry.

(See "Titanic Voyager" by Patrick Stenson for all the details.)

Wonderful subject, Tracy! Lights was a fascinating, and feisty, fellow. And he did/does have a grandson, A.T. Lightoller, whose autographs can be found for sale on eBay. A.T. became commander of the British submarine HMS Rorqual. I have a cheaply-bought video of a BTS convention that includes an interview with a grandson of Lights who might be A.T. -- Geoff would surely know better. At any rate, he reminisces about how Lights taught him how to sail; sounds like when it came to matters nautical, Lights could be quite the taskmaster!

I heartily recommend the book Mike H. mentioned, variously known as "Titanic Voyager" and "Lights: the Odyssey of C.H. Lightoller", which tells a wonderful tale of how Lights met his wife. She had a physical disability, which didn't trouble him in the slightest: during the voyage, he gallantly carried her all over the ship. That particularly endeared him to me.

The book also recounts some very funny incidents, of Lights "skating" across the slippery bridge of the Oceanic (and colliding with the Captain), and setting off a cannon in Sydney harbor and raising the enemy flag, a stunt which could have cost him his career.

The Dunkirk story is in there, too, and it's amazing. Between Lights and his son, they managed to squish over 100 soldiers into Sundowner for evacuation, completely astounding those in charge. (Rather like the old joke of crowding college students into a Volkswagen -- except that this was no joke, it was life-or-death.)

Of course, Lights' autobiography is a masterwork (which I'm now able to read thanks to an "angel" who shared it with me :)). He was quite something...

All the best -- Susan

Would love to read the books, but where to find them? I've about torn my hair out trying to find "The Titanic Myth" and "The Ship That Stood Still". And I cannot find "The Nitrate Clippers" either.

I was lucky enough to get to read "The Ship That Stood Still" through interlibrary loan, but I don't want to give it back! Perhaps I can find the Lightoller bio that way, too

Sylvia was born in July 1885, and they were married December of 1903, so she was about 18 1/2 and he was 29. Quite an age difference but most women have a soft spot for sailors anyway so maybe that did it for her.

I would be more curious at how the captain and crew responded to Lights falling in love. I'm not sure if the company turned the other cheek or not. I could see how crew/passenger fraternizing could get out of hand.

Lightoller's autobiogrphy is a good book. He was a great storyteller. You could see him sitting in a chair surrounded by grandkids intently listening to a story.

Stenson's book is also good. I think the THS has Titanic Voyager in theie online catalog. You will have to check their website.

Jane

-=Did someone say 'books'?

Hello Tracy,

As Jane suggested, you could try the THS catalogue for some of the books you're interested in: www.titanic1.org/.

Otherwise, for the out of print books, search bookfinder.com. If that doesn't work, try abebooks.com or another used book network (as on listed Bookfinder) to 'save' your 'wants'. This works: I got a really cheap copy of Harrison's book earlier this year (2nd edition), recently passing on a cheap 1st edition too. And all without having to check the new listings in bookfinder.com each day.
happy.gif

For Stenson's Titanic Voyager, last time I checked it was readily available in the UK. You could try bookshop.co.uk or amazon.co.uk, but do compare the shipping and handling prices as they're quite different. This is code for 'prohibitive for overseas buyers'.
wink.gif

Happy hunting!

F

Thanks for info, Fiona. I have seen the Harrison book a time or two...but for $225! I'll try the save thing and maybe they'll come up with it for me at a more reasonable price.

I found the Harrison book over at abebooks at a reasonable price. It is a British seller and from what I could decipher, the book is 15 pounds with 4 extra pounds to mail it overseas. The catch is that I think the seller requires a credit card and I don't have any. :-(

Found Harrison again at a reasonable price from a US seller at Alibris.com. Again, though, I'm stopped by the credit card barrier. I can understand why they wouldn't be eager to accept a check, but I can't figure out why a US seller would not accept a money order from a US buyer.

Back