Oceanic antics

Lightoller tells of a problem with the flooring on the bridge of the Oceanic

"The Oceanic's bridge was covered with expensive white rubber, laid in narrow strips, representing planks.... Incidentally if it was not scrubbed and got salt water on it, it became so abominably slippery that we had to lay down coir matting to walk on... I used to amuse myself when she had got a slight roll on, by trying to slide from one side of the bridge to the other without touching anything."

I had not really wanted to research this sea story in a scientific way, but found myself doing so this week. We've had considerable snow in New Jersey. N.J. Transit Rail uses salt to melt ice on its platforms. The train cars have rubber flooring which must be somewhat similar to what Lights describes on the Oceanic's bridge. Where passengers make wet, salty footprints, those floors feel exactly like they've been greased! I haven't seen any falls, but there have been some close calls.

Pat W-- who, being less co-ordinated than Mr. Lightoller, steps carefully!

Sounds familier. Linoleum tile is used quite a bit in ships today, and I've seen it on the bridge's of just about every ship I've been on. Nothing has changed either. Get some water on it and you might as well be treading on Slick 50 ®

Hi Pat-

I always walk like a little old lady on ice because if anyone's going to fall, it'll be me. I've been known to take others down with me.

I really got a kick out of Lightoller's sliding game, especially when he accidentally slid into the captain of that ship who obviously didn't think it was so funny. Poor Lights - he just couldn't seem to stay out of trouble.

I enjoyed Stenson's book and am now working on getting Lightoller's autobiography from the Library of Congress. My local library says they can't get it for me.

Patti - with cleats and a walking stick

In an earlier post on this thread, I mentioned that my local library was unable to help me obtain a copy of Titanic and Other Ships. Shortly thereafter I received a private email from Pat Winship questioning me about this; and after a couple more emails' worth of discussion, she volunteered to make a copy for me.

I was floored. Here was a person who doesn't know me from a hole in the wall offering to make a copy of a book and mail it to me at her own time and expense simply because she knew I was interested! How unbelievably generous is that?

Thank you once again, Pat. And thank you for the photo of little Lights the horse - what a beauty!

And now to curl up and read about Lights' antics for myself...

Most gratefully,
Patti

Well said, Patti - and I think you're not the only one to benefit from Pat's generosity. There are quite a few folks here from around the globe who have been able to access this particular source solely through her efforts and generosity!

I might also add she's equally generous with other sources to which she has access as well, for which I have personal cause to be grateful.

Blush!!!!!

You're both very welcome! While I can't do TAOS for everybody on the list, I'm glad to be able to share it as much as possible with people who are interested in Lightoller. I would love to post it in on the Internet, but am uncertain about the US copyright status.

About Lights the foal-- he's a protege of another memeber of this list, Kathy Miles. Kathy rescued him from a killer auction, and has been nursing him through pneumonia these past few weeks. She decided to name him for Lightoller in hopes that he also would be a survivor. Happily, he's proved to be a fighter like his namesake, and is making a good recovery.

Thanks, Patti and Inger!

Pat W

I had a funny feeling that Inger's name might have found her way on this other thread dealing as usual with Lightoller. This message is aimed directly at Inger as I'm having problems, once again, with this wretched e-mail title. I can't send any messages out to anybody..HELP!

Keep an eye on your mail box Ing coz this afternoon I just this minute got home after having a good day at the Archive Dept Southampton. Here's a further tip-off as I've found a small article dating back to the 60's on what really did happen to Lightoller's former home, Nikko Lodge at Netley.

Andrew W.

Good stuff, Andrew! Looking forward to it. I think we've often wondered whatever happened to it - I've been past Netley Abbey so many times but never stopped to have a look-in.

Inger

I have a very vague memory from ages ago that Lights had a link with Chorley in lancashire. Have I made this up, or does it have a basis in fact?
Ian

You're spot on. It's where he came from - the Lightollers were part of Lancashire's 'Cottonocracy', and had been associated with Chorley for generations.

I'd forgotten the link was so strong. 3 miles away from where I grew up. It must have been Kenny Moore that put me off. The accent in ANTR certainly doesn't sound like Chorley!!!!!
(sorry - I find accents very interesting)
I'll have to speak to you about Lights and local links at some point, as my sister still lives there, in a C19th mill workers house built in 1870.
Regards
Ian

Looking forward to it, Ian! Pat Winship is more up on Lights, and I had a colleague, Monika Simon, who once visited Chorley on a research trip. We'll have to snatch some time for a pint and a talk at the Convention.

Back