Oceanic antics

Ian, I'd be fascinated, if you'd be willing to share anything on Lights with me. Or, if you're more comfortable talking to Inger, she and I are in contact on a fairly regular basis. Sorry, I'm not a BTS conventioneer, though. Inger has probably done more quality research on Lights than I have, since she's better located. (I'm across the pond from you, in New Jersey) However, I'm currently testing the waters on a project about the American Inquiry, considering Lightoller as one of the major players.

Pat Winship

There are lots of stories that could be told about Lightoller, many of which are not in print and are known to just the family. As for the sliding across the bridge on the Oceanic, his great-grandson also tried it and got into the same predicament as his great-grandfather.

Yes, actually several of them have, either in the Royal Navy or the Merchant Marine. The one that I am referring to is Merchant Marine and if I remember right it was on the bridge of the QE2. And some of the things they get themselves into would fill a book. And usually beyond funny.

And, like his great-grand dad, working for the best, eh? Good for him! BTW, how did the captain feel about being on the receiving end of a Lightoller slide?

There was once a thread on this board about what *Titanic* crewman or passenger we would most like to spend an hour with. I selected Lightoller and Murdoch-- if they would tell sea stories!

Pat W

A sailor that couldn't tell sea stories? Now that would be a first!
wink.gif

Ronald, Captain of the QE2, was mixed-he was none to pleased but it was not unexpected, considering who was doing it. A lot of Lightoller stories that will never be told known only to the family and plenty of them since Charles.

As a professional librarian and part-time historian, I do hope that someone in the family will consider recording them, either in writing, or on tape or CD. Even if I never see them, they are valuable.

Pat W.

Maybe,(and it has been talked about) but right now they are passed on around the dinner table and in conversation. There are so many that I know and every time that I hear one I should write it down as I am starting to forget them. They seem to just attract such happenings with out even trying.

I'm really glad to hear that, and hope someone will be adventurous and make a start-- always the hardest part of a family oral history project, no matter who your family is!

Pat W

(Now about my rabidly Confederate great-grandmother who talked the Yankees out of taking her horse.... :) )

To Andrew Williams

Re: Here's a further tip-off as I've found a small article dating back to the 60's on what really did happen to Lightoller's former home, Nikko Lodge at Netley.

I am David Collingwood and am researching Nikko Lodge and I live in Netley Abbey. I would be extremely grateful if you would contact me about the article you found. I am working with The Hound Historical Society (Netley Abbey).

E-mail: [email protected]
Web: www.thebunney.co.uk

I had a funny feeling that Inger's name might have found her way on this other thread dealing as usual with Lightoller. This message is aimed directly at Inger as I'm having problems, once again, with this wretched e-mail title. I can't send any messages out to anybody..HELP!

Keep an eye on your mail box Ing coz this afternoon I just this minute got home after having a good day at the Archive Dept Southampton. Here's a further tip-off as I've found a small article dating back to the 60's on what really did happen to Lightoller's former home, Nikko Lodge at Netley.

Andrew W.

Back