Wallace Hartley

Nige

I live in Sheffield, England and I travel up to Burnley in Lancashire a lot. This is only 8 miles away from Colne and the site of the grave of Wallace Hartley, Titanic's Orchestra leader.
It is a place I have been to quite a lot and always lay a wreath on the 14th April each year.

I thought people might like to know that the gravestone has recently been refurbished, under an initiative spearheaded by American author Jean Martin and a Colne librarian, Darran Ward, with the help of the parish council.

The marker now looks almost new and is a fitting tribute to one of the true hero's of this story.

I have the press cutting and some photographs showing the marker and Wallace's memorial in the town centre. I will scan these and forward to anyone who may be interested.
Alternatively - and I hope the webmaster does not mind me doing this - the press cutting can be viewed at members.xoom.com/_xmcm/DebrisField/index.htm

Go to the ARTICLES button, then look under the MISCELLANEOUS section, you will find it there.
Nige

APOLOGIES AGAIN!
SORRY - WE WILL GET THERE IN THE END!

The correct section to look in is under the HISTORICAL button, then MISCELLANEOUS, NOT ARTICLES, MISCELLANEOUS.

Sorry again for the confusion - does it show that Im not really computer literate??
Nige

Hi Nige.

I am at the moment trying to find out as much as possible about people aboard the Titanic who came from Yorkshire England whether crew or passenger.
I am very interested to find out that there is someone else out there who is doing the same.
Yes I would be interested in seeing the info you have on bandmaster Wallace Henry Hartley.
you can e.mail me with this info and any other info you have on any members from Yorkshire.
If you are interested in what info I have on people please feel free to ask

Yours Graham

Thanks, Nige, I appreciate that link.

Graham, I'd also be interested in the Yorkshire connection to the Titanic. My great grandparents, along with my grandmother came to the US in 1912 from Halifax in Yorkshire. They had considered sailing on the Titanic, but fortunately chose the Baltic instead.

Hi Tracy, I'm back on line now,sorry about earlier but it was the only way I could reply.
There Is 13 crew and passengers from Yorkshire that I am researching at the moment and will give you info on any of them that is of interest, I have read somewhere that at least one of them came from or near Halifax but at the moment I cannot recall which one, (at the moment my brain appears to have died and forgot to tell my body) I will look it up for you tonight and give you the Gen tomorrow.

It's interesting that there was a crewman named John Hutchinson, and I have two John Hutchinsons that I know of in my family. I read his bio, and I don't believe he's any kin, unless he's some sort of collateral relative

I am trying to find information on Wallace Hartley, as I believe that he is a distant relative of mine. Can anyone who has information on him please email me at [email protected]. I am especially interested in a family tree, but all other information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Erin
Perth, Australia

E,

Good info avail. at council chambers in his hometown of Colne, Lancs. Grave and memorial to him there too.

BTW, when I enquired there a few years ago, they gave me a T-shirt with his image on it. Nice touch, eh?????

G

There was a Wallace Hartley exhibition on at Colne Public Library until recently. I was asked to "Officially" open it. They did have a very good collection of Hartley material on show. There are several Hartley experts in Colne, should you want to get in touch, just let me know.

Geoff

Geoff,

There was a gentleman in the U.K. who produced a very interesting booklet on Hartley. He sent it to me several years ago, and there were hundreds of pictures (mostly of Hartley's grave and the town of Colne). I heard from other sources that this chap was a bit of a character but he did state that some of Hartley's possessions that were found upon his body still exist (or at least are in the public domain). I specifically recall that Hartley's watch was among those items still known to be in existence.

I cannot recall the name of the Hartley booklet, nor the author since I loaned it to a friend who has not yet returned it. Is there any truth to the reports? I remember we spoke about this booklet and its author several years ago - just can't for the life of me recall it just now. I well remember several images of Hartley that were new to me - particularly those from his childhood.

Thanks!

Mike

Hi Mike, Hhhhmmmmm! The least said about that the better! This book was known to contain masses of misleading information, photographs of goodness only knows who! and an inventory of wishful thinking as to the recovered effects. I can put anyone in touch with a REAL Hartley expert should they want.

Geoff

Mr Sopin, What a delight to see you appear on the Board (at last!) Hope the lovely Ruth is keeping well and in "full bloom" - not long now 'til all those sleepless nights, diapers etc - how Alma and I envy you both (joke!!).
Artifacts questionable? Now I would never make any assumptions about anything but how is the 1911 microwave working for you!!!

Our very best wishes to you both

Geoff & Alma

Well, Geoff, Ruth and I appreciate your kind words. Actually, I made the appearance on the board just to hear them!

And strangely enough the 1911 microwave he sold me says "Property of Hilton" on the bottom.

Best Regards,
Craig

Back