Wallace Hartley's violin

So I looked into the violin a little more. Read a couple for and against articles about it. Not much I can add but I will say that somebody was convinced it's real because they laid out $1.7 million for it. Anyway I had missed all this before as I never looked into it. But the article about it here on E.T. I found informative. Link below if anyone else is interested. Cheers.

Moderator's note: This post, originally posted in an unrelated thread in Titanic News, has been moved to here which is discussing the violin. JDT]

Last edited by a moderator:
So I looked into the violin a little more. Read a couple for and against articles about it. Not much I can add but I will say that somebody was convinced it's real because they laid out $1.7 million for it. Anyway I had missed all this before as I never looked into it. But the article about it here on E.T. I found informative. Link below if anyone else is interested. Cheers.

Moderator's note: This post, originally posted in an unrelated thread in Titanic News, has been moved to here which is discussing the violin. JDT]
Whoever it was wouldn't be the first person to pay top dollar for dubious Titanic "relics".

There are a lot of reproduction menus, tickets, first class brochures, newspaper and magazines on the market, artificially aged and sold to suckers.

Whoever it was wouldn't be the first person to pay top dollar for dubious Titanic "relics".

There are a lot of reproduction menus, tickets, first class brochures, newspaper and magazines on the market, artificially aged and sold to suckers.
Yes true. But in a few years he or she will resell it for 2.5 million and the game will go on. Pocket money to the people who would buy it. Cheers.

For whatever it may be worth, I've seen this violin on display at the Titanic Museum Attraction in Pigeon Forge. While I'm well aware that there is always the possibility of being snookered, I would bet very long odds against it. Mary Josyln has some gifted historians on her staff who are excruciatingly thorough in checking things out. They would not have gone for this unless the provenance was rock solid.

For whatever it may be worth, I've seen this violin on display at the Titanic Museum Attraction in Pigeon Forge. While I'm well aware that there is always the possibility of being snookered, I would bet very long odds against it. Mary Josyln has some gifted historians on her staff who are excruciatingly thorough in checking things out. They would not have gone for this unless the provenance was rock solid.
From the articles I read I would tend to agree with you. Although I'm skeptical by nature not everything is a scam. Of the many of the Titanic related artifacts this one has seemed to be vetted more than most. I sincerely hope that it is the real deal as its part of the history of that night. That being said its academic to me because I couldn't afford to own something like that. I just hope it doesn't get squirreled away in someones private collection. Would be nice to see it. Cheers.

From the articles I read I would tend to agree with you. Although I'm skeptical by nature not everything is a scam. Of the many of the Titanic related artifacts this one has seemed to be vetted more than most. I sincerely hope that it is the real deal as its part of the history of that night. That being said its academic to me because I couldn't afford to own something like that. I just hope it doesn't get squirreled away in someones private collection. Would be nice to see it. Cheers.
That's where Herbert Pitman's memoir of the Titanic, written shortly before he died, is right now.

A relative of his has it (written in longhand on a school exercise book) but won't publish it or let anyone read it for some inexplicable reason. :(

Back