Ford Family

HELLO, THIS IS MY FIRST MESSAGE SO PLEASE BE PATIENT WITH ME....I HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING THE FORD FAMILY FOR OVER A YEAR NOW AND HAVE FOUND SOME INTERESTING INFO OUT INCLUDING D.O.B FOR ALL CHILDREN. WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS..MR EDWARD FORD IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE ABANDONED HIS FAMILY IN OR AROUND 1904 BUT EVEN HIS FAMILY DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED SO HOW DO WE? ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS....

Hello again Emma! I think that the information comes from the American Red Cross Relief Fund records which give details of daughter Frances Ford's claim for compensation. It states that "the family had been abandoned by the father many years ago but he turned up after the sinking to claim 5 shillings (if my memory serves me) each week for the loss of the family. Margaret Ford's sister's family did not make a claim to the Red Cross - maybe they did from the British Relief Fund - I really can't remember.

Hello Geoff, I have recently discovered that Edward Was almost certainly living with the family in 1908 as he was listed as living in the same road as the rest of the family on the Electoral Register. Also the family's local church held a memorial service for them after the sinking which He attended and a collection was made for him which he received after the ceremony. Of course this doesn't prove one way or another that he left!!! however his family do seem to think that he may have married a few years afterwards and moved to London.

Hi Magda,

I don't think so. There were no recollections of the family(or even their relatives the Johnstons) during the sinking. But you know, I too, was trying to figure this out some time ago, but gave up. I assume they never even made it to the boat deck, but were sadly trapped somewhere in the maze of Titanic. But I could be wrong.

Hey, I'm Hungarian, but my mom has been to Poland several times.

Laura

The liklihood of stories concerning the large families lost in the sinking pretty much relied on whether there were other friends or acquaintances (usually single females) who were fortunate enough to escape.

So an account of the Paulson family was provided by August Wennerstrom; the Rice family from Bertha Mulvahill, the Anderssons from Anna Nyston and the Panulas courtesy of Anna Turja.

In the case of the Ford/Johnstons, their single friend and traveling companion, Phoebe Harknett also perished. That leaves sadly, them along with the Goodwins, Lefevbres, and Skoogs whose final days are still untold.

Arthur

William Neal Thomas Ford Hi. I've been trying to locate information about my two great aunts, Liza and Margaret Watson who both travelled with their families in steerage on the Titanic and didn't survive. Obviously they both married and their names have changed. My great grandfather, William Watson, originally from the Isle of Skye, sent money back to his sisters so they could emigrate to the U.S. Do you know anything about the other Ford children? I know one's name is "Doolina" after Margaret's sister. I suspect that Liza is "Mrs. Johnston". Is there any way to confirm this? Has anyone turned up anything? Thank you.

Marci,

Follow your link back to: William Neal Thomas Ford and from there on the top right-hand corner back to: This item relates to: William Neal Thomas Ford. There you will see that his mother was: Mrs Margaret Ann Watson Ford and his aunt [his mother's sister] was: Mrs Eliza Johnston. Margaret and Eliza were the daughters of William and Catherine Margaret (nee McGregor) Watson of Bracadale, Isle of Skye. - The rest of the family are all listed and have their own biographies.

Hi Miranda

I have been researching the Fords for over 6 years now and have been in contact with all sorts of their relatives. Sadly no known photographs survive for the Fords here in the UK, although there are photos of their close relatives. I have whole class school photos for some of the years they were in school but none of the children have been positively identified as of yet. I am currently getting my research together for publication in the near future.

Best wishes
Emma

Re: William Neal Thomas Ford Hi. I've been trying to locate information about my two great aunts, Liza and Margaret Watson who both travelled with their families in steerage on the Titanic and didn't survive. Obviously they both married and their names have changed. My great grandfather, William Watson, originally from the Isle of Skye, sent money back to his sisters so they could emigrate to the U.S. Do you know anything about the other Ford children? I know one's name is "Doolina" after Margaret's sister. I suspect that Liza is "Mrs. Johnston". Is there any way to confirm this? Has anyone turned up anything? Thank you.
Long shot as this was so long ago,but these were my 3 times great aunts I think it is that you are talking about,I have some info I could share with you.

Hi Miranda

I have been researching the Fords for over 6 years now and have been in contact with all sorts of their relatives. Sadly no known photographs survive for the Fords here in the UK, although there are photos of their close relatives. I have whole class school photos for some of the years they were in school but none of the children have been positively identified as of yet. I am currently getting my research together for publication in the near future.

Best wishes
Emma
Hi Emma,

Do you know why the Fords were traveling to Essex County N.J.? None of the bios make any reference of relatives or jobs there.

Best Wishes
Bob

Back