The Doll

When Robert Ballard explored the Titanic, there was a doll's head somewhere down there. It is believed to have belonged to Lorraine. Anyone know if that's true or not?

>>Anyone know if that's true or not?<<

I don't know if this has ever been verified. China doll's heads were so common that establishing any such link with certainty is impossible. It really could have belonged to just about any young girl traveling on that ship.

Another theory about the doll was that it could be one bought by 3rd Class passenger Elin Ester Braf, a 20 year old from Sweden who was bringing the doll for a niece. Supposedly, her fellow travelers, the Johnson family recounted that she had the package with the doll on deck with her. Sadly, her fear prevented her from boarding a lifeboat and she perished. If she had had the doll with her at the time, it might explain why it was located in the outer debris field. But as with the other scenario about the doll belonging to Loraine Allison, there really is no way to prove with certainty.

>>Another theory about the doll was that it could be one bought by 3rd Class passenger Elin Ester Braf, a 20 year old from Sweden who was bringing the doll for a niece. Supposedly, her fellow travelers, the Johnson family recounted that she had the package with the doll on deck with her. Sadly, her fear prevented her from boarding a lifeboat and she perished. If she had had the doll with her at the time, it might explain why it was located in the outer debris field. But as with the other scenario about the doll belonging to Loraine Allison, there really is no way to prove with certainty.<<

I never heard that, thx for the info.

And whose, I wonder, had been the doll - now in Belfast - which was found floating and when first sighted was believed to be the body of an infant girl? May it not have been "my dolly, back there in the water, with no one to keep it dry"?

Shannon,

Ballard didn't say that it did belong to Lourraine, but that it might have belonged to her. There were many young girls on board and a few in first-class alone. Ballard inferred that it most likely belonged to a girl in first-class because of the material out of which the doll was made. A comparison was made between the doll remains and an actual doll from that time, from which possible evidence was extrapolated to suggested that the doll was most likely made out of unique materials (I don't remember exactly what those were or what Ballard had said. I'll have to check again) which only a person with money could have afforded.

First I would like to say I am happy to be back here. I loved to post here about a year ago but i have had so many things in my life lately I have not been able to post. I have reading some of the things you all have written when I gone.

Back to the topic, I agree with Mr. Standart. It could have belonged to any little girl on the voyage.

Back