Sage Family

Chris

Does anyone else think that the Sage family was in cabin E-126? This description....

NO. 67. - MALE. - ESTIMATED AGE, 14. - HAIR, MEDIUM.
CLOTHING - Grey suit (knickers); striped shirt; black boots and stockings.
NO MARKS ON BODY OR CLOTHING.
THIRD CLASS TICKET. WILL SAGE on ticket, List No. 20, Berth 126.

....clearly mentions a "126" and cabin E-126 in third class seems to have been big enough to hold most or some of the Sage family. Any thoughts? Please email me (preferred) or respond on the message board.

Thanks

Hi Chris!

Yes I think that it is quite likely that at least some of the family were in cabin E126. The cabin is arranged for 4 people, but the youngest kids could have shared, 2 to a bed. The older males with their father were probably in a forward cabin on either F deck or G deck.

Daniel.

The Sage family left Peterboroug in England
to Jacksonville in florida. John and Annie had
9 children aged:4 to 20 years old.

I have no more details thank you very much

By Joannie Durand

I have a detail, but I am not sure.
If Stella Anna was the eldest of the family,she
had 20 years old and if Thomas Henry was the
younger of this, he had 4 years old. I have no
more details, please give the news infos at
message board. Thank you and good luck!
P.S. my last message can help you.

The Sage family owned a bakers shop in Peterborough, England. Although originally from London, John Sage had been the landlord of several public houses in the Norfolk area.
In 1911, together with his oldest son George, he had travelled to the United States and Canada. He was so taken with Florida that he purchased a plot of land with the intention of building a farmhouse and growing pecan nuts. The family consisted in 1912 of the following members:
John George Sage born 1867
Annie Elizabeth (nee Cazaly) Sage born 1867
Stella Anne Sage born 1891
George John Sage born 1892
Douglas Bullen Sage born 1894
Frederick Sage born 1895
Dorothy Florence Sage born 1897
Anthony William Sage born 1899
Elizabeth Ada Sage born 1901
Constance Gladys Sage born 1904
Thomas Henry Sage born 1907

There had also been two other children who had died in infancy. George Sage was particularily keen to return to America as he had become engaged to a local girl the previous year.

The following is from Judith Geller's book "Women and Children First":

"...This was an enterprising group determined to make their way in the world. Stella was a dressmaker, George a barman, Fred a cook and Douglas a baker. John had been a tradesman but sold his shop and went to Canada in 1910 with his oldest son, George, to work on a farm. In January 1912 they returned and John announced he had purchased a fruit farm in Florida."

"The family was seen on deck near the end when there was still potential for survival. Stella, the oldest girl, had in fact entered a lifeboat and sat waiting for the rest of her family to find seats. When that did not happen she stepped out again to her death with the ten other Sages -- all their potential lost to the sea. Only William's body was found, identified identified by the writing on the ticket in his pocket: 'Will Sage, berth 126'."

He was buried at sea with the other bodies too disfigured to enbalm....."

There is also a rough picture of the family which is apparently a reprint from "The Daily Sketch."

I am most interested in the story of the Sage family, since my grandmother informed me - when she saw me reading Walter Lord's "Night To Remember" - that the Sage family were once her neighbors!

I was born at 192 Walpole Street, Peterborough, England - my grandparents' home. Two streets away lay Gladstone Street - where my grandmother lived at about the time of the sinking. This seems to be about right with all the records I've seen, for putting the Sage's on the same street - except, my grandmother always claimed that they had lived "behind us", referring to a 'Clarence Road' in Peterborough, which lay between Gladstone Street and Walpole Street.

Is there anyone who can confirm this one way or the other? I know it's 'minutiae'....but I would really like to nail it down!

John, The Sages moved about a bit - even in Peterborough! Since arriving from Norfolk, they had several addresses in Peterborough, including two in Gladstone Street, one address was above their baker's shop and from there they moved to a house just a couple of doors away.

Geoff

Geoff, I was browsing this site last week and came upon the SAGE family. My mother is sure that John SAGE was a brother of her Grandmother. Annie SAGE as she recalls that the family talked about the SAGE's who died on the Titanic.
I have yet to substantiate this yet though, my research showed the Annie SAGE as being from Leigh Sinton Worcs - I also read that in the probate it mentions a Mary Anne PERRIN - which is also a family name on my mothers side.
Is there any info on the family of John SAGE?

Norm
(New Zealand)

Norm, I've never come across any of the Sage side of the family - only the Cazalys. The Cazaly family were originally from France (Hugenots) and had lived in the London area for many years.
Mary Ann Perrin was John Sage's sister if I recall correctly.

Geoff

I thought you would like to read what The Northampton Independent wrote about the Sages on April 20 1912:
WHOLE FAMILY PERISH
It is reported theat Mr. and Mrs. John Sage, of Petersborough, with their nine children (five sons and four daughters) have perished with the Titanic. Mr Sage formerly kept a grocery shop in Petersborough, and left the city by an earlier train on Wednesday week to join the Titanic.
Mrs Toddd, of 188 Walpole Street, Petersborough, who was a friend of Mr. Sages oldst doughter, was amongst those who saw them off at the station. On Saturday evening Mrs. Todd received a postcard from her friend from Queenstown briefly stating that so far all had fared well with them on the voyang. On Sunday evening in St. Barnabas Church, where the family attended, the hy mn "Eternal Father strong to save" was included in the service at the request of Mr. Todd, who is in the choir".

I thought you would like to read what The Northampton Independent wrote about the Sages on April 20 1912:
WHOLE FAMILY PERISH
It is reported theat Mr. and Mrs. John Sage, of Petersborough, with their nine children (five sons and four daughters) have perished with the Titanic. Mr Sage formerly kept a grocery shop in Petersborough, and left the city by an earlier train on Wednesday week to join the Titanic.
Mrs Toddd, of 188 Walpole Street, Petersborough, who was a friend of Mr. Sages oldst doughter, was amongst those who saw them off at the station. On Saturday evening Mrs. Todd received a postcard from her friend from Queenstown briefly stating that so far all had fared well with them on the voyang. On Sunday evening in St. Barnabas Church, where the family attended, the hy mn "Eternal Father strong to save" was included in the service at the request of Mr. Todd, who is in the choir".

Back